Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Billy Gillespie to Kentucky

[ QUOTE ]
“I am thankful for the commitment Texas A&M continues to make to allow us to do the things we need to do, to achieve our ultimate goal—winning a national championship...The commitment has been there since day one and continues to grow stronger still. While it’s embarrassing to me to be compensated so well to perform my passion for a school I love, I am sincerely appreciative of the efforts of Bill Byrne, our university administration, the board of regents and everyone associated with Texas A&M for their personal support they continue to show. We will continue to do our best to try and make the Texas A&M family proud.”

Wonder how fast he jumps Kentucky for the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he was torn when making the decision.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's only the second best job available now
Arkansas is #1 and they are having problems

[/ QUOTE ]

Arkansas athletic department is a mess right now. A&M can and will pay more money for anyone out there, and the current talent on campus is better at A&M. A&M also has better location for recruiting. The only thing Arkansas has going for them over A&M is historical prestige.

A&M and Arkansas have already gone head-to-head for one coach this year. Arkansas lost.

I would be shocked if Arkansas pulls away from this with a bigger hire than A&M does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arkansas job > A&M job

Arkansas has a huge fan base and a great program historically. People love their hoops there. It's always been a top 15 type of job. If Arkansas is struggling, they will still have big crowds, which helps you win and recruit.

A&M was always been a dead end job until Gillespie got there. 3 years under Gillespie has made it much better, but coaches know that once the shine of the last couple of tournament runs has worn off, it could easily go back to being a very tough place to win. It's nice to sell out games when your team is in the top 10. But when A&M is struggling, people will turn to football recruiting. People quickly forget that they were 0-16 in the BigXII the year before Gillespie arrived and hadn't been to the dance in about 20 years. They really need a coach who can come in and win immediately, and keep the ball rolling....

But A&M's talent is not better than Arkansas's. Arkansas returns their entire roster from a NCAA tournament team.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But A&M's talent is not better than Arkansas's. Arkansas returns their entire roster from a NCAA tournament team.

[/ QUOTE ]
this remains TBD
drug use and academic issues are present
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want Tim Floyd. I doubt we are able to get him, but he would be number 1 on my list. Southern boy who has coached/recruited in Texas and Louisiana.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a run at Jamie Dixon.

Those seem to be the top two names right now. I don't expect us to make a serious attempt at Izzo/Crean/Pearl, but I wouldn't be shocked if we did try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back to this.. From a guy I have known to trust with inside information, we are going for Floyd, Dixon, and guy from Winthrop (Marshall?) in that order, and want it to be wrapped up middle of next week. I'd be ecstatic with any of those three.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:06 AM

as a uw fan, i am praying that you guys land floyd. usc basketball could become beastly with the new faciilities, usc and a great coach.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:12 AM

I'd love to see it, but it would be very very hard to do. Spend a week in Southern California and a week in College Station, TX and tell me where you would rather live [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Right now I really expect Dixon to be our next coach.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to see it, but it would be very very hard to do. Spend a week in Southern California and a week in College Station, TX and tell me where you would rather live [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Dixon would be an excellent hire. Floyd seems like a longshot. Besides, has Texas A & M called O.J. Mayo yet and asked for formal permission to speak with Floyd?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pitt=better program
Big East=better conference
The Pete=better arena

As a Pitt hater, I hope A&M gets Dixon. I'd really like A&M to get Floyd, though, as it would result in Brandon Jennings in a UConn jersey.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Gillispe will fail at Kentucky.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gillispe will fail at Kentucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. . . I'll bite. . .why?