Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: BCS Rankings.

Maybe, right now, Notre Dame could be top 20, because they haven't been convincing either way. A 21 point loss to Michigan, is ND at their worst. Penn State is a lot better than I thought they were, only losing by 7 to Michigan. MSU doesn't suck.

That said, I don't think they're top 20. Elo-Chess sucks, and Predictor does SOS and MOV calcs very well.

They won't play the top 10, top 20 teams that are better than them. They have a difficult schedule, but it consists of Michigan, USC, and two top 40 teams in games that could go either way.

I don't think GT is good as well. They have 3 real gimme wins, and they only beat Troy by 2 TD's. Va Tech win is good, but the 4 point Maryland win at home is just awful.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennessee also lost by one to Florida. They crushed Georgia. That Cal game was very, very impressive.

ND has one truly impressive win. They really did crush Penn State, a good team.

I'll accept top 20 for ND. They're still overranked, by a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm..i really disagree that a PSU win is "truly impressive". Truly impressive wins are OSU over Texas, Mich over ND, or most big SEC games. ND beat a team that isn't even in the top 25, so I cannot see that as an even impressive win, let alone very impressive.

All I know is if you took these teams and stripped away all preseason ranks, or even if you started ND at #10, there is no way they would be close to where they are now. But it's the same with any other team that gets the preseason ranking bias, so I guess there's not much to do about it.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Penn State looks like a tough team. Michigan beat them by 7. OSU beat them by 22. They've blown out the teams they should have blown out, and Minnesota doesn't suck, and PSU beat them on the road.

They're a top 30-40 team, and ND just crushed them. Way more impressive than beating GT on the road by 4.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Penn State looks like a tough team. Michigan beat them by 7. OSU beat them by 22. They've blown out the teams they should have blown out, and Minnesota doesn't suck, and PSU beat them on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those scores are misleading, though. Michigan beat PSU by 7, but they totally dominated that game. PSU got a late fluke score to make it sound close. It was a total physical mismatch from start to finish.

OSU got a few late defensive scores to win by that margin. That was a close game, throughout. PSU played them really tough.

Sometimes the final score of games are very misleading, and don't reflect the actual competetiveness of the games.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe, right now, Notre Dame could be top 20, because they haven't been convincing either way. A 21 point loss to Michigan, is ND at their worst. Penn State is a lot better than I thought they were, only losing by 7 to Michigan. MSU doesn't suck.

That said, I don't think they're top 20. Elo-Chess sucks, and Predictor does SOS and MOV calcs very well.

They won't play the top 10, top 20 teams that are better than them. They have a difficult schedule, but it consists of Michigan, USC, and two top 40 teams in games that could go either way.

I don't think GT is good as well. They have 3 real gimme wins, and they only beat Troy by 2 TD's. Va Tech win is good, but the 4 point Maryland win at home is just awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem is according to this logic no one is a top 20 team. You can find flaws in every team's performance so far. For example, if you don't think Georgia Tech is very good, name 20 teams better than them. If you think ND isn't top 20 name 20 teams better than them.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 PM

Fine, here's 20 teams better than ND:
Big Ten:
OSU
Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State (yeah, I know, but they've played a killer schedule, and played very well with them)

SEC:
LSU
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida

Pac-10:
California
USC
Oregon

Big East:
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big 12:
Texas
Oklahoma

ACC:
Clemson
Boston College

WAC:
Boise State

There are about 10-15 in here that are undebatable, IMHO.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those scores are misleading, though. Michigan beat PSU by 7, but they totally dominated that game. PSU got a late fluke score to make it sound close. It was a total physical mismatch from start to finish.

OSU got a few late defensive scores to win by that margin. That was a close game, throughout. PSU played them really tough.

Sometimes the final score of games are very misleading, and don't reflect the actual competetiveness of the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a PSU fan, I completely agree with this. I really thought PSU had a chance to beat OSU. They were playing close to their level for most of the game. As for the Michigan game, I'm amazed the score was what it was. Michigan was CLEARLY a much better team, and would probably win by 3+TDs a good percentage of the time.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Ten:
OSU
Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Penn State (yeah, I know, but they've played a killer schedule, and played very well with them)

SEC:
LSU
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida

Pac-10:
California
USC
Oregon

Big East:
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big 12:
Texas
Oklahoma

ACC:
Clemson
Boston College

WAC:
Boise State

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try watching college football. I hear it's good stuff.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big Ten:
OSU
Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebraska

SEC:
LSU
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida

Pac-10:
California
USC
Oregon

Big East:
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big 12:
Texas
Oklahoma

ACC:
Clemson
Boston College

WAC:
Boise State

[/ QUOTE ]

You should try watching college football. I hear it's good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nebraska = Big Ten?!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Ten:
OSU
Michigan
Wisconsin
Nebraska

SEC:
LSU
Auburn
Tennessee
Florida

Pac-10:
California
USC
Oregon

Big East:
Louisville
West Virginia
Pittsburgh

Big 12:
Texas
Oklahoma

ACC:
Clemson
Boston College

WAC:
Boise State

[/ QUOTE ]

wow