Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Is this a leak?

[ QUOTE ]
lol, please tell me when your book deal is official.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll title it "how not to be a nit that can't get his money in as the favorite because he fears monsters under the bed". And you should read it first... nit.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Ok, Thanks again for all the responses.

The reason I posted this hand is because I find myself in these situations and want to get all in on the flop. In these low buy in tournaments I hate being in a hand and not getting all in as people call light and shove light.

I don't usually continue as I find myself getting called by a hand that beats me and then I am unsure of how to play a blank turn.

I probably think I lose this a lot but obviously selective memory where someone folds.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if it checks around and a blank comes on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank,

Just to be clear, I am not saying the check/raising is the best play. In fact, I would almost always lead this flop. What I am saying is that we should be very willing to get it in, and that as long as we get it in against villain's calling range, that is +EV.

Sorry if I made it seem as if I was advocating a check/raise. I still do stand by my statement that I like a big overbet (check/raise, w/e) more in a tournament than in a cash game. You almost never get looked up without a set or better here in a cash game.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll title it "how not to be a nit that can't get his money in as the favorite because he fears monsters under the bed". And you should read it first... nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I've said over and over again that I don't want to get it in on the flop? Hell yeah I would, but I'm not going to risk a check and having it check around to see a potential blank on the turn. What's the EV there?

Obviously I'm just a nit that prefers to evaluate a situation instead of just saying what everyone else has already.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PR,

Stacks are better set-up for a c-bet, three bet AI rather than a checkraise. Your check raise is a big overbet and therefore kinda looks like what it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not betting this flop is a huge leak...u want to get it in on this flop every time, bet(pot-sized)/3bet is your only play here. As played, your shove looks like what it is, but you have so much equity against his range that you shouldn't really care.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking for a counter point, but we're just agreeing here, right?

OP asked about leaks and my only point at the end was that he was playing his hand somewhat transparently. Obv the goal is to get the chips in so it doesn't matter that much, but I thought it was worth noting.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JARID,

The key to this hand is getting chips in the pot, not making your hand seem stronger than it is / inducing folds.

You're 62/38 against AJ. Think that calls a lot in a $5.50? I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree with you and I think bet/3-bet is the best way.

My last sentence was vague as I was pointing out the transparency of his hand w/ respect to OP's question about leaks. Not a big deal here, but in the grand scheme etc..
Old 08-21-2007, 04:15 PM

i might be thinking totally not EV here.... but as mentioned this is a tournament.

Would it be really bad if i advocated the check, to go for either 1. the checkraise, or 2. the free card.
or option 3. if he bets too little, call and you're drawing with great odds

I know the free card is less +EV than getting the money in now. However (assuming this is a freezeout) you cannot reload if you miss.

You are a favorite against most ranges, but only a small favorite. Why not take the free card, extract some more chips if u hit, or fold if the action gets too big. The tournament will move on, and you can find better spots.

Isnt the whole point in poker? Getting your money in as good as possible (52% is good, but you can find better).
Another point is letting your opponents make mistakes and profit from them. When you get the money in on the flop, and your opponent calls with a set he does not make a mistake. However if u hit one of your outs, and manage to extract money from him, no matter how little, he is making a mistake. (especially in $5 tourneys people wont fold their set so often)

My point is, its a tournament, your goal is not to get as must EV as possible, your goals are survival and accumulation

cliffnotes: go for checkraise/free card, try to take the money with made hand, if not move on to better spot
Old 08-21-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I've said over and over again that I don't want to get it in on the flop? Hell yeah I would, but I'm not going to risk a check and having it check around to see a potential blank on the turn. What's the EV there?

Obviously I'm just a nit that prefers to evaluate a situation instead of just saying what everyone else has already.

[/ QUOTE ]

No because you're results oriented, see monsters everywhere, are worried about sets and him getting it in as a dog this one time.... and because I don't much care for your response to my post. That's why the disrepsect... you donktastic nit.

Bakc to the original OP question... getting all your chips in here is not a leak.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No because you're results oriented, see monsters everywhere, are worried about sets and him getting it in as a dog this one time.... and because I don't much care for your response to my post. That's why the disrepsect... you donktastic nit.

Bakc to the original OP question... getting all your chips in here is not a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol a donktastic nit? keep up the $4 180 seaters, those aren't donkaments by any means.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Funkert I like your point btw. That's why I pointed out that the tournament is still in Level 1. When it comes down to it you're putting your tournament on the line with a draw.

If you c-bet and get raised, you let yourself know that you're up against at least 2 pair, maybe a set, and maybe the current nuts (KQ); I'd have trouble putting the villain on air with one player left to act, plus the texture of the flop isn't good for a set, 2 pair, pair, etc. This allows you to make an informed decision rather then just playing your cards.