Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Re: 10/15 NL- opinions on this laydown.....

I have him on Q3, nf.

James
Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM

I like it.

Barry Greenstein once said (and echo many times by the great Phil Helmuth) that to be world-class, you have to be able to make ridiculous laydowns that seem aweful to those around you. Remember, a full-house is only two and a half pairs.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM

Default I figured this hand would receive this type of reception....

I'm not surprised that most of the people here have sided with the rest of the table in the "you're an idiot" department. I did however think there would be more people in the "go with your reads" group.

First of all, I want to thank anybody that had any actual input in this thread other than "LOL" or "scared money" or whatever. I've been playing professionally for around 6 years with a mixture of online and live play, and mostly PLO, PLO8, limit HE, and more recently NLHE with a few tourneys sprinkled in. I know the odds, I do the math, I make good calls, I make good folds, and for the most part I'm an aggressive player in most games. Sometimes I'm guilty of tricky play syndrome, but not because I want to show everyone how great I am. It's usually because I will sometimes overthink the situation or get greedy. I also rarely show my hands whether I won, lost, or mucked, but in this case, showing such an incredibly off-the-wall laydown opened the door for me to bluff at some pots at a tight table, as well as induce bluffs from guys who think I'll fold everything but the nuts.

I agree that I probably butchered the hand on the turn- I should have led out. However, I really feel like a checkraise here gets the aces to fold given my image at that table and the way the original raiser plays which makes it more clear to me that leading out gets the most money in the pot, and when the he raises, I smooth call and checkraise the river.

With that all said, there are many situations where you can narrow your opponents holdings down to only a few hands because of how he plays and how the action on the hand played. For me, this was one of those situations, and it saved me $400 on a river call that seems automatic at first glance. Just because the odds justify making the call, doesn't mean you should just ignore everything you've learned over the years and make the call. It's amazing to me how many people walk away from a poker table broke muttering stuff like "I knew you had a set". Sometimes going with your reads will save you a lot of money, even if the odds say stay in the hand.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the three people who were truly bashing on me for laying the hand down walked away broke, and from the point that I folded my boat I completely dominated the table without ever really catching a great run of cards.

Lee
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: I figured this hand would receive this type of reception....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not surprised that most of the people here have sided with the rest of the table in the "you're an idiot" department. I did however think there would be more people in the "go with your reads" group.

First of all, I want to thank anybody that had any actual input in this thread other than "LOL" or "scared money" or whatever. I've been playing professionally for around 6 years with a mixture of online and live play, and mostly PLO, PLO8, limit HE, and more recently NLHE with a few tourneys sprinkled in. I know the odds, I do the math, I make good calls, I make good folds, and for the most part I'm an aggressive player in most games. Sometimes I'm guilty of tricky play syndrome, but not because I want to show everyone how great I am. It's usually because I will sometimes overthink the situation or get greedy. I also rarely show my hands whether I won, lost, or mucked, but in this case, showing such an incredibly off-the-wall laydown opened the door for me to bluff at some pots at a tight table, as well as induce bluffs from guys who think I'll fold everything but the nuts.

I agree that I probably butchered the hand on the turn- I should have led out. However, I really feel like a checkraise here gets the aces to fold given my image at that table and the way the original raiser plays which makes it more clear to me that leading out gets the most money in the pot, and when the he raises, I smooth call and checkraise the river.

With that all said, there are many situations where you can narrow your opponents holdings down to only a few hands because of how he plays and how the action on the hand played. For me, this was one of those situations, and it saved me $400 on a river call that seems automatic at first glance. Just because the odds justify making the call, doesn't mean you should just ignore everything you've learned over the years and make the call. It's amazing to me how many people walk away from a poker table broke muttering stuff like "I knew you had a set". Sometimes going with your reads will save you a lot of money, even if the odds say stay in the hand.

Coincidentally (or maybe not), the three people who were truly bashing on me for laying the hand down walked away broke, and from the point that I folded my boat I completely dominated the table without ever really catching a great run of cards.

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]
ahh you thought you were playing PLO... it all makes sense now
Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Heh, that was actually pretty funny.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Please at least call...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM

I think it's great that you went with your read, but this case is one of those where you go with that read and just call, never go with it and fold.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lee

[/ QUOTE ]
ahh you thought you were playing PLO/8... it all makes sense now

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM

I normally don't make posts like this, but wow...

Stop wasting our time, it's clear that you aren't being receptive to what people have to say and are just looking to show off. The fold still sucks.

Post less.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 AM

After reading this and the Foxwood thread, it seems that HSNL has gotten to a point where I can actually beat the OPs. How sad is that. The JMan thread was good tho.