Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: A Poll for Libertarians

[ QUOTE ]
This is my position on abortion:

If murder is wrong, then what constitutes a human life? Or more generally: what state of life can be considered a moral agent (or else it's simply property)? Obviously the minimum requirement is the ability to make choices and to be conscious about how they affect other moral agents.

Now, even children up to the age of 10 aren't truly moral agents (considering the extent of their understanding of their actions have on others), but still, they have a past, they have other people who are valuable to them and vice versa. And all of this is possible because of their mental abilities. And it would be completely consistent that a computer with the same amount of abilities be considered morally equal; or an out-of-space alien for that matter.

Other living beings around us also exist with consciousness; such as horses and dogs and dolphins (and cows, wales, squid). And even though they posess quite some mental capacities, their moral status is very low.

Now, onto the unborns; the age at which they get aborted (at the moment), is at a stage where the brain's development and activity is similar to that of certain worms. That's really all there is to say. It has absolutely no moral status whatsoever, and a mother doing with it what she wants can in no way be considered immoral.

Killing a moral agent is completely immoral. Killing a child between the age of ~1 and ~10 is not as immoral as killing a full moral agent, but certainly still immoral. Below that and the abortion age is a bit of a grey area, but at the actual abortion age, there is nothing to say about it morally.

The matter of how to deal with this in practice is a different matter entirely, and I'm sure the free market will come up with some interesting solutions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're wrong on many points, but I've argued my side quite extensively in the past and won't hijack this thread to rehash it all.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Aren't options 2 and 3 just about the same thing?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I seperated the two because I figured that there would be people like me. Personally, the thing about libertarianism that appeals to me the most is my personal desire to live life without interference. I cannot, however, accept natural rights as proper justification because I see rights as a social construct -- not something that is objective. While I am morally opposed to coercion, I view morality as subjective.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:41 AM

It's been six months. Do we have any more here? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Leading towards anarchist
opposition to coercion/freedom
natural rights
[censored] borodog.

Do i get a membership card or something?
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
natural rights
[censored] borodog.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get a cheap shirt pin with a picture of borodog in a pirate suit with a caption that says "yep, he got me too." (I'd photoshop this, but I'm too lazy)
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
natural rights
[censored] borodog.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get a cheap shirt pin with a picture of borodog in a pirate suit with a caption that says "aarrrrrr , he got me too." (I'd photoshop this, but I'm too lazy)

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone photoshops this i'll have some made up.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:05 PM

The bird's an egalitarian.