Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Wynn management: pathetically incompetent? or just plain jerks?

[ QUOTE ]
poker players... a ...re... ...being bitchy and impossible to please.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-26-2006, 05:33 AM

regardless of the fact that i love the wynn, and will always be staying there, this is pretty incompetent for someone who's job function essentially consists of nothing but keeping games going.

peace

john nickle
Old 03-26-2006, 05:37 AM

Wynn is simply overrated
Old 03-26-2006, 05:50 AM

I love the room and the competition. The management is nice, they are liberal with comps, but they often drop the ball on the simple things like managing the list and quickly filling empty seats.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the room and the competition. The management is nice, they are liberal with comps, but they often drop the ball on the simple things like managing the list and quickly filling empty seats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-26-2006, 11:33 AM

This is the one thing I don't understand about the Wynn, either. This doesn't seem to be an isolated incident.

I watched this happen to Glenn's table once, a couple of months ago. The room was virtually empty, like in your case. At first the floor refused to give a reason, like in your case. When pressed, he stated that they were "moving" Glenn's table because of a "private" game. When someone asked about gaming commission and allowing a private game, they backtracked and came up with some other excuse (I was not involved in this at all, btw, just a bystander. I never heard the final excuse, as I was called to my game, but it seemed to create a LOT of chaos in the room, and within about an hour, the "private" game was broken, too).

I have no idea what this necessity is at the Wynn to "move" tables, but it definitely seems to happen on day shift, and they never seem to have a real excuse, they just suddenly approach a table, seemingly on a whim, and demand that the players move. Since I have been playing a lot more in the mornings (I know, it's blasphemy, I should be shot), I have seen this happen at the Wynn several times, and I'm not even a local!

No clue what the deal is with that.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Can't we all agree that this is why we like Al(despite his recent hiatus), because of posts like this. As an out-of-towner I appreciate every post about poker rooms and how they are run, especially by someone who knows the business. If a new computer will make him post more, maybe we should start a fundraiser....
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would have been the reaction if the floor had been apologetic, ie "Sorry guys but I have to move you", and then offer "No Drop" for the next 20 min?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice dream. I probably would have responded better, and they probably would have kept the game going, if they had the foresight to do this. But there was nothing even remotely apologetic about how they went about breaking up the game. Basically they wanted the game gone, and they got what they wanted. Perhaps their drunk dealers were just too rowdy for the upper limit snobs that might show up in a few hours or so. And Hey, if my money's no good here, I can always go elsewhere. I just feel a bit disillusioned because I thought the wynn was basically well run, despite some problems. Now I think the problems stem from upper management's inability to grasp simple cardroom economics, their lack of caring about pleasing their customers, and their tendency to have their noses up in the air.

I should ask: why would you even START a game at a table where you intend to force them to move (i.e. BREAK) later? Another dropped ball I guess. The mis-management must be coordinated between shifts.

It should be noted that the VAST majority of poker revenue dollars come from the small and lower mid limit game players, NOT the high limit players.

It's OK though guys, I'm not THAT upset. MGM and mirage and a few others still have plenty of the games that wynn is too snooty to keep satisfied customers coming back to.

al
Old 03-26-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason has an article in one of his Poker Essays book which is almost identical to your story. I suggest you photocopy that essay, print out this thread in a couple days, and give both to Wynn management.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea. I think I just might do that.

al
Old 03-26-2006, 01:28 PM

You always make great counter-arguements my friend.

True, they probably won't go bankrupt over losing the game. But one irrefutable fact is that a pissed off customer tells far more people about their experience than a happy one. Therefore you have a strong reason to keep people happy rather than pissed off.

The reason I got so pissed off about this one is that both the manager breaking the game and the big cheezeball in charge of it all made it very clear that they couldn't care less whether anyone was upset about breaking the game. When customer service is that unimportant to them, it's pretty easy to change one's mind, especially if it wasn't really made up very strongly in the first place.

Besides that, I just wanted to rant! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

al