Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 03:48 PM

Default Re: ask man about running.

kipin,

never seen either. but I've always wanted to see logan's run because it was referenced on family guy.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:49 PM

all,

www.marathonsports.com is a great place to get shoes if you have stores near you. they're one of the places that will monitor your running form on a treadmill and fit you up with the right shoe based on your stride.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:50 PM

i have been running a lot. sometimes i drink a coffee before my run and it seems i can run farther and faster. would it be beneficial to drink coffee before every run so that i can train harder?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kipin,

never seen either. but I've always wanted to see logan's run because it was referenced on family guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see it just because it is one of the first sci-fi thrillers.

The family guy reference was excellent.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:54 PM

I played soccer when I was in HS, but we didn't do much conditioning. I always detested running because I felt like crap afterwards. I want to turn over a new leaf and get healthier now, but haven't done ANYTHING in the past few years so I'm completely out of shape. What would you recommend as a beginner's training routine for someone currently inactive?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have been running a lot. sometimes i drink a coffee before my run and it seems i can run farther and faster. would it be beneficial to drink coffee before every run so that i can train harder?

[/ QUOTE ]
that's an interesting question but generally my rule of thumb is to stick with your routine. if it works it works. I'm not sure what caffeine's affect on your muscle system is, but I would guess that it's different for everyone. my main concern though is that it would become a replacement for water though, which is never good.

here's an interesting link I found.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:01 PM

Is there anything I can do at 220 lbs to make running not make my knees so soar? (Besides lose weight)
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played soccer when I was in HS, but we didn't do much conditioning. I always detested running because I felt like crap afterwards. I want to turn over a new leaf and get healthier now, but haven't done ANYTHING in the past few years so I'm completely out of shape. What would you recommend as a beginner's training routine for someone currently inactive?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you never liked running I'm not gonna recommend that you take it up. swimming and biking, though more expensive, might be more enjoyable for you, and impact your body far less.

but to start out I would recommend that you go jogging three-four times a week for about 30 minutes. if you go for less time it's not gonna benefit you very much. if you can't jog for that long, then mix it up, do 2:00 jog, 2:00 walk. however I wouldn't recommend that you jog until you become exhausted, and then start walking until you can jog again because you'll be overexerting yourself, which really isn't necessary and could lead to injury. plus I have a problem with any kind of exercise that isn't properly structured because it's easy to fall out of your routine. pick a good interval that you feel comfortable with.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything I can do at 220 lbs to make running not make my knees so soar? (Besides lose weight)

[/ QUOTE ]
so I'm guessing that you'd like to run, but you hate it because it makes your knees sore? some people are built differently than others, and may have had injuries, so it may never be possible to be free of soreness.

anyway I'm not sure exactly what kind of soreness you're talking about but weight training can help with this. (it may also help the IT band problems soul daddy was having.) do very slow repetitions of leg extensions and compressions (I dunno if compression is the proper term for it but those two exercises in the videos are what I'm talking about) on low weight. it will strengthen the tendons and hopefully make running easier on you.

other things you can do are pool running--go to the deep end of a pool and do the full running motion. you'll move very slowly but that's the point. it's a good way to keep leg muscles in shape but not have the impact. (it also trains you much less than real running, but it's good for tuning up.)
Old 03-24-2006, 04:25 PM

I'm leaving but I'll still reply to these questions later tonight (if this fad is still going on..)