FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Live hand vs. Steve Dannenman

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think either pushing or calling/check-pushing are wrong. There is some metagame EV to be obtained here, though. With the blinds becoming increasingly tantalizing and Ms shrinking, I wouldn't mind pushing, seeing Steve fold, and then not turning over AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. As we head into crunch time my goal is generally to convince people NOT to call my raises/reraises, not to set them up to call my monsters that are unlikely to ever come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you show here? It's terrible. Not showing puts the idea in their head not to mess with you. Showing just suggests that you'll play back only when you have the goods and they'll pick you apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on your table image. If you have been defending aggressively, showing the AA might make the point that your reraises are not all resteals so watch out. It depends on whether you want to discourage steals or want to discourage people calling your resteals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't kid yourself. At this stage of the tournament a raise at your blind is coming almost every time. If you're goal is to encourage walks, you are going to be pretty disappointed. I personally think setting up the occasional resteal is much more important, as well as continuing to promote a tight/solid image at a time when stealing blinds and limps is crucial.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think either pushing or calling/check-pushing are wrong. There is some metagame EV to be obtained here, though. With the blinds becoming increasingly tantalizing and Ms shrinking, I wouldn't mind pushing, seeing Steve fold, and then not turning over AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. As we head into crunch time my goal is generally to convince people NOT to call my raises/reraises, not to set them up to call my monsters that are unlikely to ever come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you show here? It's terrible. Not showing puts the idea in their head not to mess with you. Showing just suggests that you'll play back only when you have the goods and they'll pick you apart.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you plan on re-stealing liberally then this is precisely what you want them to think, though perceptive players will realize why you're doing this and it might be counterproductive if you were at a table of mostly good players.

If you plan on rarely re-stealing and playing very rocky (which isn't a great stratey for most tournament structures) then, yeah, definitely don't show.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you plan on re-stealing liberally then this is precisely what you want them to think, though perceptive players will realize why you're doing this and it might be counterproductive if you were at a table of mostly good players.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, you definitely don't want to overdue it, you just want to plant the seed. Everything is read dependent. Hopefully you are developing relationships, even if silently, with all the players and playing accordingly. With Steve in this situation, I would hope to have gotten chummy with him prior to this hand, and showing down my aces would be sprinkled with that chumminess, not as an attempt to convince everyone how tight/solid I am.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Reraise to T3400. Push a non-ace flop.

I generally hate to raise w/ AA, but if Steve's range is wide and you're TAG, then if you call, he is probably behind and may not put another chip in the pot. I think you are more likely to get T2000++ BTF, than ATF.

Whatever he opened with, he can at least call T2000 getting 2.5:1 and implied odds of 6:1, in position. (It would be a very tight fold).
Old 03-21-2006, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise to T3400. Push a non-ace flop.

I generally hate to raise w/ AA, but if Steve's range is wide and you're TAG, then if you call, he is probably behind and may not put another chip in the pot. I think you are more likely to get T2000++ BTF, than ATF.

Whatever he opened with, he can at least call T2000 getting 2.5:1 and implied odds of 6:1, in position. (It would be a very tight fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

Locutus, put yourself in Steve's position. Regardless of your own cards, and given stack sizes, image/reads, how would you interpet our reraise?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:10 PM

If you look at the stack sizes, if you can get folds half the time with a reraise allin, you only have to win 25% of the time you are called for it to be cEV+. If you have no FE, you are cEV even versus folding if you win 43% of the time.

Therefore, I would push the 1/3 of my hands that are standard raising, limping, or restealing hands. I might resteal with weaker hands if I thought I had good FE. So I expect I would get called a large portion of the time.

I don't know if I would ever flat call in this situation with any hand, so why do it with AA. Reraising would look normal for me, and people would expect a reraise and they are more likely to have a real hand if they are raising and more likely to be ready to call a reraise.

Now if you have been playing very tight and like to see flops, then a flat call would look normal. People will be stealing your blinds with weak holdings that they cannot call a reraise with. A reraise from you would look like a strong hand rather than a resteal. If you flat call, Dannenman would make a continuation bet, figuring you will fold if you didn't connect.

Similarly, if you are a strong player who likes to call and see flops, then the flat call will look normal. Dannenman will figure you didn't need much to call, so he will probably cbet. The checkraise may look like a move from you, so he will probably call if he has anything.

It seems to me that this is just like any other situation with AA. Make the play that looks normal for you and looks normal for the table.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:12 PM

In this situation, I like the idea of smooth call, check-raise push flop. However, if the flop is real ugly, I might just push the flop or bet into him STRONG on the flop. If you re-raise preflop I think you're just going to scare him off....I think you actually want him to catch up a little.

With that being said, you can never go wrong with re-raising either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2006, 02:27 PM

If I was SD, I'd think hero has ~50 hands that he might play like this. At this stage of the tournament I'd be calling with many hands which I knew were behind.

If hero just smooth calls, and takes the flop OOP its pretty obvious that SD is behind and he's going to proceed with caution, you may aswell get paid for it BTF.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 PM

given the dynamics, i like the smooth call and a weak lead on any flop. Bet like 800-1k on the flop and hope he smells weakness. this ensures that if he wants to make a play, he must make a bigger play.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you plan on rarely re-stealing and playing very rocky (which isn't a great stratey for most tournament structures) then, yeah, definitely don't show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your guys' point on showing AA for other situations but we have 20BB (24 or so if we take this one. How much play does that give us?