Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Hand Analysis--Drawing to flush in multiway pot

Assuming that our opponent just happens to have what would be the worst thing for us is just terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2006, 09:42 PM

Why would you want to face the entire field with a probable 2 cold here?

-Jaran
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that our opponent just happens to have what would be the worst thing for us is just terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm open to disagreement but please do me the courtesy of a better answer than that. If you're talking about button you'll note I did an anlysis with a considerably wider range of hands than AA and QQ. If you're talking about considering the effect of another flush draw being out there I think it's a very likely scenario under the circumstances (perhaps playing results a little but especially so given MP2's reaction to the river card). In any case I think my musings on how the opponent's cards are more likely to hurt the equity of our draw than that of button's currently made hand are valid.

Here's your challenge: do a three-way equity calculation with hero, button and MP2 with reasonable hand ranges that demonstrates enough of an edge showing we should cap the betting. I have already opened up button to any ace-broadway and QQ. I would say a calling station might stay with a flush draw, a gutshot straight draw, any ace and any Q-broadway, possibly a medium pocket pair 88-JJ. Feel free to adjust as you see fit.

I have done a version of these calculations, interested to see what you come up with.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 PM

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be intentionally vague. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It's certainly possible that the third party in this hypothetical could have a flush draw. But it's more likely that he has a pair or a straight draw. A more realistic EV analysis would put him on a huge range of hands.

It's also more likely mathematically for him have something like QJ as opposed to two clubs as four of the clubs are already accounted for.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM

:grunch:

Unless you think BTN will raise I lead the flop. You have a very strong hand: a nut flush, and gut shot draw.

And for the love of god raise the river. Did you just have a brain fart and forget you had the NUT flush? I take it you lost this hand or you woudn't be posting it so I think BTN or MP2 holds Qs or As full.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM

No problem, the calculation I did lends some support to your position.

I opened up the ranges to something similar to what I suggested above and the resulting calculation says we have a shade more than 40% of the equity here. I still don't think I'd come up with that play in the heat of battle and I also don't think we're quite as well off as this equity calc seems to indicate. However, I can certainly accept that capping the flop looks a lot more reasonable with three players than I thought.

Board: Ac 2c Qh
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 41.0739 % 40.55% 00.52% { KcJc }
Hand 2: 48.6720 % 47.10% 01.57% { AdAh, AdAs, AhAs, QcQd, QcQs, QdQs, AdKd, AhKh, AsKs, AdQd, AhQh, AsQs, AdJd, AhJh, AsJs, AdTd, AhTh, AsTs, AdKh, AdKs, AhKd, AhKs, AsKd, AsKh, AdQc, AdQs, AhQc, AhQd, AhQs, AsQc, AsQd, AdJh, AdJs, AhJd, AhJs, AsJd, AsJh, AdTc, AdTh, AdTs, AhTc, AhTd, AhTs, AsTc, AsTd, AsTh }
Hand 3: 10.2540 % 08.45% 01.81% { AdAh, AdAs, AhAs, KdKh, KdKs, KhKs, QcQd, QcQs, QdQs, JdJh, JdJs, JhJs, TT-88, AdKd, AhKh, AsKs, AdQd, AsQs, AdJd, AhJh, AsJs, AdTd, AhTh, AsTs, Ad9d, Ah9h, As9s, Ad8d, Ah8h, As8s, Ad7d, Ah7h, As7s, Ad6d, Ah6h, As6s, Ad5d, Ah5h, As5s, Ad4d, Ah4h, As4s, Ad3d, Ah3h, As3s, Ad2d, Ah2h, As2s, KdQd, KsQs, KdJd, KhJh, KsJs, KdTd, KhTh, KsTs, Kd9d, Kh9h, Ks9s, Kd8d, Kh8h, Ks8s, Kd7d, Kh7h, Ks7s, Kd6d, Kh6h, Ks6s, Kd5d, Kh5h, Ks5s, Kd4d, Kh4h, Ks4s, Kd3d, Kh3h, Ks3s, Kd2d, Kh2h, Ks2s, QdJd, QsJs, QcTc, QdTd, QsTs, Qc9c, Qc8c, Qc7c, Qc6c, Qc5c, Qc4c, Qc3c, Qc2c, Tc9c, Tc8c, 9c8c, 9c7c, 8c7c, 8c6c, 7c6c, AdKh, AdKs, AhKd, AhKs, AsKd, AsKh, AdQc, AdQs, AhQc, AhQd, AsQc, AsQd, AdJc, AdJh, AdJs, AhJc, AhJd, AhJs, AsJc, AsJd, AsJh, AdTc, AdTh, AdTs, AhTc, AhTd, AhTs, AsTc, AsTd, AsTh, Ad9c, Ad9h, Ad9s, Ah9c, Ah9d, Ah9s, As9c, As9d, As9h, Ad8c, Ad8h, Ad8s, Ah8c, Ah8d, Ah8s, As8c, As8d, As8h, KdQc, KdQs, KhQc, KhQd, KsQc, KsQd, KdJh, KdJs, KhJd, KhJs, KsJd, KsJh, KdTc, KdTh, KdTs, KhTc, KhTd, KhTs, KsTc, KsTd, KsTh, QcJh, QcJs, QdJh, QdJs, QsJd, QsJh, QcTd, QcTh, QcTs, QdTc, QdTh, QdTs, QsTc, QsTd, QsTh }
Old 03-08-2006, 11:00 PM

Oh, Shania, save me! That's horrible. I think viewing this just killed more brain cells than Spring Break '86, where 2 buddies and I follwed the Dead through the South.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM

If you like I'll ask the mods to put a NSFBoz tag on the subject line. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, Shania, save me! That's horrible. I think viewing this just killed more brain cells than Spring Break '86, where 2 buddies and I follwed the Dead through the South.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup bro? Did you make it to Alpine that summer?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's also more likely mathematically for him have something like QJ as opposed to two clubs as four of the clubs are already accounted for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? There are 16 ways to make QJ and 36 ways to make XcYc? 45 cards unknown that makes 990 different combinations.
QJ 990/16-1=60.875:1 against
XcYc 990/36-1=26.5:1 against
Of course this ignores the likelihood of any 2 suited being played PF, but then again so does your statement quoted above.

you should see this [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]