Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: When to play smaller unsuited connectors

[ QUOTE ]
....but their main value, imho, is in allowing you to widen your range of starting hands (in position) and get more action on your premium cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play SC as low as 54 in CO and Bttn. Maybe complete the small blind because of the price.

Against multiple limper 3+, I'll limp behind OCCAISIONALLY and because there is an unlimited range of hands to the flop, I don't even like to go any further if I flop bottom 2 pair against multiple limpers. It's certain unlikely it will ever turn into the nut hand. You will end up with the second best flush alot....plus how do you extract when the third flush card hits the turn. And would you try to maximize against someone who calls? If your str8 comes in.... it's almost never the nut str8. Many limpers, many outs. It's a GOOD hand for a family flop,,, but be WARY careful.

One or two limpers... I'll jack it up and rep a bigger hand. Win with the CBet. Win with the occaisional monster. But try to get it heads up and play poker.

First in.... jack it up EVERY time. Not 95% either. (see quote above). OK, that's just wrong of course. If I have a blind that's a pure station, I'll limp in on the button hoping for a hand I can take it to a station.

I don't play SCs or gappers in any other position.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping from the button is one of the worst plays i can think of. Either raise or fold. Simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

as threads said above, this is a blanket statement

Open-limping is certainly bad, i would argue against that all day, but i see nothing wrong with limping along with a speculative hand on the button and folding the flop without a good draw or 2pair+

[/ QUOTE ]

Open-limping isn't necessarily bad either. Most of the times you will prefer to raise, but if you go off and say that open-limping the button = bad then you are going to miss some stuff.

I am not willing to argue it though. It is argument that has been had enough times for me. It is akin to the "always raise PP's" mentality that these parts have.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The button is mine for that round.

[/ QUOTE ]
So? It's not like having the button is some rare occurance.

Here's a typical situation at low limits:
Three loose calling stations limp to you. Raising T9o is just bad here, but I definitely want to play this hand cheaply against calling stations.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping from the button is one of the worst plays i can think of. Either raise or fold. Simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

as threads said above, this is a blanket statement

Open-limping is certainly bad, i would argue against that all day, but i see nothing wrong with limping along with a speculative hand on the button and folding the flop without a good draw or 2pair+

[/ QUOTE ]

The button is mine for that round. I don't care what people limp to. If I have an hand i want to play, i'm raising it. I have position on everyone. Why exactly wouldn't i take advantage of it?

I respect your opinion, that's for sure. I'm just listing my reasons to justify my statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually almost included that in my original post as a common blanket statement.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in general, many people limp too much on the button with crappy hands looking to flop a big one and bleed off chips with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. If you do limp u need to throw the hand away if you don't hit 2pair+ or a good draw

[ QUOTE ]
The button is mine for that round. I don't care what people limp to. If I have an hand i want to play, i'm raising it. I have position on everyone. Why exactly wouldn't i take advantage of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't autoraise the limpers with the button because its not always appropriate. If im quite sure they'll fold then i would, but if i've got a few people pegged as overplayers in unraised pots i'd rather limp with a 97o, hope to hit big and get paid. I want to see a cheap flop before i commit any chips.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the times you will prefer to raise, but if you go off and say that open-limping the button = bad then you are going to miss some stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken, i shouldn't have made a blanket statement. I guess i meant that, in general, regularly open-limping from the button is not a great play.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in general, many people limp too much on the button with crappy hands looking to flop a big one and bleed off chips with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. If you do limp u need to throw the hand away if you don't hit 2pair+ or a good draw

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't autoraise the limpers with the button because its not always appropriate. If im quite sure they'll fold then i would, but if i've got a few people pegged as overplayers in unraised pots i'd rather limp with a 97o, hope to hit big and get paid. I want to see a cheap flop before i commit any chips.

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the times you will prefer to raise, but if you go off and say that open-limping the button = bad then you are going to miss some stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken, i shouldn't have made a blanket statement. I guess i meant that, in general, regularly open-limping from the button is not a great play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can agree with that.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You make a 8-outer (or 6 outer on a 2flush board) draw with 0-gappers something like 1/9 times, and with 1-gappers something like 1/12 times (can someone confirm these - I could be wrong),

[/ QUOTE ]

With unsuited 1 gap connectors, you will flop an 8 out straight draw about 6.5% (14:1), you are correct on 0 gap connectors.

Of course a lot of the time there will be a flush draw on the same board and that will discount some of your outs.