Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Who else does not raise pre flop?

I belive preflop AF is Raise%/call%, so this means he is caling 9 out 10 times he plays I think.

what is your VPIP?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:46 PM

You found a safe way to beat the clueless players. Lower variance, way lower winrate.

It may fit your personality, but you are leaving tons of money on the table.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His preflop aggression is .11. The way you play probably gives you preflop agg around 1.1

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. So he's showing 1/10th the aggression that I am. Okay. That's a different story. A different weak-tight story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to try and change your mind but I do play agressive post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes little sense to me. Your playing style allows others to play perfectly. They can't make a mistake against you preflop because you refuse to charge them. They can't make a mistake against you postflop because they can fold their trash when you get aggressive and play with you when they hit.

The key to SSNL, in my mind, is to get your villains to play with you even when they don't hit. It isn't the card catching contest that you seem to want to make it. You can force your opponents to make tiny preflop mistake after tiny preflop mistake. They add up. Then as always, you get paid on your big hands most of the time and they get paid on theirs. Most of your profit will come from the tiny mistakes you can force and being smart enough to get away from them when they show strength.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:53 PM

So, fine, you're a winning player by not raising pre-flop. You can make a lot more by raising pre-flop. You can never move up in limits playing like that.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:59 PM

Well I was right, this idea went over like a lead balloon. It is all good though and I appreciate all the comments.

I did play "standard" pre flop for about half the time I have played poker. When I switched to limping it seemed my win rate went up. This may have been due to being more experienced and have nothing to do with pre flop play. If you guys want I will play standard pre flop for 3 days and give the results. I am capable of playing this way and played this way for a long time. First in raise, always raising AK, that kind of stuff.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) So I dont get "big pot madness".

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh... you win the most money in big pots.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I dont mind letting other people in with hands that are likley to be dominated if we both hit

[/ QUOTE ]
They'll call a raise with those hands, too.

[ QUOTE ]
If I have K-J and the other guy has 9-J I dont want to get his blind, I want to put him in a position where we both hit and I get a healthy pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
The idea of a guy with J9 giving you, a player with a "weak-tight" image, a "healthy pot" on a J high flop in an unraised pot is ridiculous.

[ QUOTE ]
3) It gives me a weak-tight image that I like.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why the hell do you want a weak-tight table image? The most money you make in NL comes from getting action on your good hands. The weak-tight image puts you in lots of really tough spots where you have no idea where you're at, because people are constantly running bluffs at you.

[ QUOTE ]
I expect to get flamed

[/ QUOTE ]
As you should. This strategy blows.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You found a safe way to beat the clueless players. Lower variance, way lower winrate.

It may fit your personality, but you are leaving tons of money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right on the money... This strategy can work, because i used to play like it (and win)... And, I've seen a few people win with it as well (although rare)..

The real "KEY" to *MY style is being hyper aggressive postflop (outplaying them), and playing MANY hands preflop.. Thus not allowing your opponents to really read you

This is basically how i evolved into a SAG player...

Does this describe you, or are you a nut peddler?

Old 03-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Also works well when you first get to the table and you want people to think you are an idiot for a couple orbits
Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 PM

This strategy can be a useful "gear" at much higher limits provided you limp with complete trash in late position and are willing to bluff when the board comes up rags.

You don't have a bad strategy, i.e. you aren't costing yourself money. Your strategy is far from optimum; why don't you try playing the normal way and see if your results improve.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The real "KEY" to *MY style is being hyper aggressive postflop (outplaying them), and playing MANY hands preflop.. Thus not allowing your opponents to really read you

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes post flop play is obviously a key for me as well.

I have been incorporating more and more of what I read here into my post flop play and yes they preach agression.

It is interesting to hear how you evolved, and that you won $ doing this. This was actually what I was kind of interested in and wanted to hear more about, but obviously not too many people are gonna wanna post about it now that the flaming has started. That being said I think I will retire from this thread hehe.