Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Running bad (not all mindless whining and a plea for help)

btw this is all mindless whining...

ur sessions are 2 hrs, ur playing live, ur last 3 sessions have gone bad

BIG DEAL

come back when ur last 20 have gone bad and that might mean its not totally possible its standard variance

Seriously we re talking about less than 200 hands, players go on terrible runs for thousands

i dont usually say this but this thread sucks... keep playing and keep posting to discover possible leaks,

Also stop buying in short for one so stupid in limit, and if you care about losing this money and it really bothers you and thats part of the reason ur buying in short and making this thread DONT PLAY
Old 08-30-2007, 08:20 PM

Hyperrrprank watched me fold nearly every hand for about 2 hours last night at a table. I played a few hands and ground out wins at every table I was at. In 5 hours of 4/8 and 8/16 combined I saw 2 pairs: 88 and 77. A few suited ace hands and a few AK and QK hands. I managed to grind out some chips at every table.

Everyone here if they have played any length of time has gone through card dead periods. Earlier this year I went almost 3 months of just playing fold em. Nearly every 3/6 session was a loser, mostly in blinds and a few hands played. Just a slow bleed, but it is way better than dumping chips playing bad cards. Just persevere and make the best decisions you can. Count, your game seems to be pretty good from your posts. You'll get over it.

Oh yea, like the others said, don't buy in short or let your stack get down to small. But you know that right?

Also review your play in the blinds. I did last night and found that was leaking off some bets here and there that in the course of 5 hours really does add up.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:05 PM

wait what? 3 hours?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks Frond. Appreciate the good thoughts. I think buying short and playing a compressed session leads invariably to increased frustration and the severe trying of patience. So I'm not gonna go in for less than $80 from now on. I suppose I'll chalk it up to an experiment gone bad. I'd read a post about a month ago about how Greenstein advocated buying short, so that influenced my decision to try it.
And I'm not sure which is worse.. a slow bleed of card deadness, a long run of missed draws, or having good hands being beaten by better ones. I think I can live with the third option, but the first and second are definitely neck and neck..
Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM

When I first started playing in card rooms last year, I went on a 60 BB downswing in the first 40 hours. A lot of this was newbiespew but i did not get discouraged and continued to study and improve my game. Don't let a downswing bother you as you will tilt and start playing crappy cards and get all messed up. Also DO NOT buy in short! Just last night I saw a guy all in on the flop twice with the nuts. 10 minutes later the guy goes broke and whips out another $30?? He would not have gone broke had he got the full value from his good hands.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks to all... consider my short-buying experiment ova and done with.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:07 PM

I think Greenstein talking about buying in short (In his book Ace on the River) has more to do with No Limit than Limit holdem.
In NL sometimes you can play a short stack to be able to push all in with a good starting hand or postflop with a decent hand/draw and not have to worry about losing lots of money like you could if you were deep stacked.

As far as I can tell that has nothing to do with buying in short in LHE so definitely no need to do it for all of the reasons already discussed earlier.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:08 PM

gotcha
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gotcha

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually think shortstacking can be advantageous in limit as well, when your opponents think you're stacking off and call you down with nothing.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gotcha

[/ QUOTE ]

i actually think shortstacking can be advantageous in limit as well, when your opponents think you're stacking off and call you down with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this to work, wouldn't you need:

1. Opponents observant enough to notice when someone is stacking off.

2. An image that warrants an observant opponent thinking you might stack off retardly?

I find (1) to be in short supply and (2) nearly impossible to generate.