Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: I fold KK overpair on the turn

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I havent got the balls to make a living solely from poker.

BTW I am 2 months away from being a PhD in zzzzzzz . It would be pretty silly not to finish it. Tho I hate it! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

No question about it. Economics is so damn boring. At least I get to do my reseach in Game theory and applied Game Theory.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I havent got the balls to make a living solely from poker

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear that! Sometimes I think I might be able to pull in a similar salary that I have right now, but then I figure I'm probably not good enough (yet), and that the risk isn't worth it unless I get 2-3x my salary, and if this became a job I would hate it, and I'm terrified of having to push through a big downswing when it's my only income.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BTW I am 2 months away from being a PhD in zzzzzzz . It would be pretty silly not to finish it. Tho I hate it! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about it. Economics is so damn boring. At least I get to do my reseach in Game theory and applied Game Theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my BA in Econ...don't remember a single thing from school.
On the plus side, chicks seem to think I'm smart (until I talk to them).
Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I finished my 4,5 years of universtity´studies in business economics 6 years ago, big mistake. Luckily online poker appeared. Playing for a living doesn't make the game boring, it makes you a better player since you can focus totally on the game, and have time to do the sufficient analyzis and studied to keep improving. Oink sure you're good enough to play full-time?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:21 AM

oink,
i was thinking of taking a class in non-cooperative games. it's grad level and i haven't taken an econ class since intro to microeconomics 4 yrs ago back in college and i haven't taken an analysis or algebra class since around then too. will i hate it or be totally unable to do it? fyi-i was a math major in college so im not a total noob.

oh...sorry for the hijack...this post was kinda silly anyhow, no offense op.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:37 AM

BTW Oink could you publish your reasearch for us to download when completed? What language is it in?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oink,
i was thinking of taking a class in non-cooperative games. it's grad level and i haven't taken an econ class since intro to microeconomics 4 yrs ago back in college and i haven't taken an analysis or algebra class since around then too. will i hate it or be totally unable to do it? fyi-i was a math major in college so im not a total noob.

oh...sorry for the hijack...this post was kinda silly anyhow, no offense op.

[/ QUOTE ]

Difficult to say really. Non-cooperative games isnt that math heavy. But it can be at a pretty high level of abstract thinking. In particular when you get around to Sequential Equilibria in dynamic games with incomplete information (poker [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I have a bit experience with teaching it for undergrads and its mostly the concepts that gives them that blank "I-have-no-idea-what-you-are-talking-about" look in the eyes.

If you are a math major it shouldnt be the math that makes it difficult for you. There is gonna be a lot of calculating when finding equilibria in excercises, but its not gonna be tough algebra and abstract math as compared to a grad level microeconomics course.

PM me the book(s) used and a link to a syllabus and I can prolly help you a bit more.

@ gvasa

[ QUOTE ]
Oink sure you're good enough to play full-time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty confident I can make a living of poker. I have a winrate of 1.5 playing 3/6 to 20/40 over the last 500k hands.

But I cant make myself do it. What the hell do you guys do in 5 years if online poker dies out due to regulation or some other stuff? If I quit my Phd program and needed a job in a few years I would never ever get a good job here in Denmark. I would end up in some crappy public job making $50k hating myself enough to actually consider suicide.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 AM

I really don't think online poker will die since there is no sign of that. Poker has been around for hundreds of years why should it suddenly die in 5 years? I don't know you family status but for me with wife and kids, coaching a floorball-team and a full time job, left no time for serious poker playing. If I was single and had no other obligations maybe I could find time to play poker during nights and weekends and then be able to have a job. The issue is that I hate jobs and especially bosses and the freedom you get from playing poker for a living is wonderful.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 AM

GVasa,

If you don't mind me asking:
-What stakes do you play
-How many hrs. pr/week?
-What's your bankroll
-Winrate estimate

I understand if you don't wanna answer some of these. I'm just curious what it takes to become a pro in this game.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GVasa,

If you don't mind me asking:
-What stakes do you play
-How many hrs. pr/week?
-What's your bankroll
-Winrate estimate

I understand if you don't wanna answer some of these. I'm just curious what it takes to become a pro in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to play some 20h per week. I play mainly 2/4-3/6 5-max 2-tabling. I make about $40 an hour on average. My BR is usually at least 400BB. I have some other incomes as well from investments an so on, so I manage ok.