Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: KK first hand of ME qualifier on tilt ($300) TROUBLE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whenever I see someone bet about 1/7th of their stack early in a tournament, I immediately put them on AA or KK. They are trying to take away implied odds of anyone calling with a smaller pocket pair. This very strategy is advocated in Kill Phil. Maybe this player has a wider range for that bet, but AA-KK need to be at the front of your mind when you see this bet and know nothing more about the player.

With KK, I probably cannot fold. I certainly do not push preflop.

When the flop comes AJT, you are done with the hand unless you improve for cheap. The only hand he could have that you are beating is QQ.

Your flop bet accomplished nothing. You could not get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. You had nothing to protect. And, a free card if he checked behind could give you the nuts if you were behind and he was slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your logic is: "since this tournament is deepstacked, i can afford to call off 1/7th of my stack and fold if i THINK ive been outdrawn." That is horrible reasoning IMO. Personally (and seems to be against what a lot of people are saying in this thread), I'm all for pushing preflop when I'm pretty much always ahead. The only hand that beats us is AA, and I think AA is very rarely played like this anyways. So assuming it is not AA (which I dont think it is) your worst case scenerio of pushing is picking up 24 BB's or wutever it is, which I'll certainly take uncontested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever try making it 440 to go with AA in the 10-20 level with 3000 in chips?

I have. Quite a bit. And while I often pick up the blinds, you'd be surprised how often I get KK-JJ, AK and sometimes worse pushing over the top of me because they read me for a medium pair scared of a flop.

You might try it sometime.

But then, I suppose you probably bet AJT flops with KK out of position into big preflop raisers, too.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: KK first hand of ME qualifier on tilt ($300) TROUBLE

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Whenever I see someone bet about 1/7th of their stack early in a tournament, I immediately put them on AA or KK. They are trying to take away implied odds of anyone calling with a smaller pocket pair. This very strategy is advocated in Kill Phil. Maybe this player has a wider range for that bet, but AA-KK need to be at the front of your mind when you see this bet and know nothing more about the player.

With KK, I probably cannot fold. I certainly do not push preflop.

When the flop comes AJT, you are done with the hand unless you improve for cheap. The only hand he could have that you are beating is QQ.

Your flop bet accomplished nothing. You could not get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. You had nothing to protect. And, a free card if he checked behind could give you the nuts if you were behind and he was slowplaying.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your logic is: "since this tournament is deepstacked, i can afford to call off 1/7th of my stack and fold if i THINK ive been outdrawn." That is horrible reasoning IMO. Personally (and seems to be against what a lot of people are saying in this thread), I'm all for pushing preflop when I'm pretty much always ahead. The only hand that beats us is AA, and I think AA is very rarely played like this anyways. So assuming it is not AA (which I dont think it is) your worst case scenerio of pushing is picking up 24 BB's or wutever it is, which I'll certainly take uncontested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever try making it 440 to go with AA in the 10-20 level with 3000 in chips?

I have. Quite a bit. And while I often pick up the blinds, you'd be surprised how often I get KK-JJ, AK and sometimes worse pushing over the top of me because they read me for a medium pair scared of a flop.

You might try it sometime.

But then, I suppose you probably bet AJT flops with KK out of position into big preflop raisers, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i dont BET that flop, my money is already in preflop