Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: education and AC

corporations pay for schooling for a lot of people today. I think that practice will be much much common in a ACist country. It will be a standard part of any benefits package. People will probably start pretty young too. I could see a 16 year old getting an internship in the summer, He would give the company some labor and commit to continue work for them into the future and in return they would pay for his schooling.

human capital is a big driver of production, corporations will begin to invest in human capital in the same way they invest in other forms of capital.

furthermore there is no reason for corporations to not get started even earlier. Also, i could see parents getting 'free' education for their children as part of their company's benefits package.

people who are asking charity to solve the problem fundamentally misunderstand the problem.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Charity would take care of it. I mean... you'd give to the charities that took care of this kind of stuff, right? I mean... you don't hate children, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing... not many of the people who push for these sorts of things to be taken care of by government would actually make such donations on their own in a voluntary society. Why else would they feel so strongly that they must force others to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that exactly the reason, they know we won't do it on our own so they hope through force they'll accomplish the goal. I'm not saying I agree with that idea, but isn't that the idea.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see force as needed. A charity organization could create pledges for those concerned about the issue. Like say handing out pledges that say "I'll donate $X if Y amount of people also agree to do so" or "I'll give $X for every Y amount of people that also pledge to do so". Sure then there might be free riders, but I don't see why people who don't want to donate to a charity should be forced to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I never stated an opinion, so I'm guessing you just wanted to copy the above to add context.

In any case, no people shouldn't be and aren't forced to give to charities for public schooling.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, wasn't really arguing with you, just that you pointed out an argument for forced charity and I pointed out that there are voluntary ways to reach the same destination.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
human capital is a big driver of production, corporations will begin to invest in human capital in the same way they invest in other forms of capital.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree

[ QUOTE ]
furthermore there is no reason for corporations to not get started even earlier. Also, i could see parents getting 'free' education for their children as part of their company's benefits package.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree

I guess this would be as good a time as any to say that I'm for 100% privatization of schools.

Cody
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Charity would take care of it. I mean... you'd give to the charities that took care of this kind of stuff, right? I mean... you don't hate children, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing... not many of the people who push for these sorts of things to be taken care of by government would actually make such donations on their own in a voluntary society. Why else would they feel so strongly that they must force others to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that exactly the reason, they know we won't do it on our own so they hope through force they'll accomplish the goal. I'm not saying I agree with that idea, but isn't that the idea.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

No that is not correct. They know that THEY will not do it and they want to posture that they are good people or caring or whatever so they talk about how govt charity is good and necessary and how conservatives are uncaring. Show me the ones letting a few crackwhores live with them or a few drunks and then I will give their opinions more than a grain of salt.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:36 PM

Yeah, my company has started doing this to some extent over the past 4-5 yrs for select jobs.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ACist country

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In any case, no people shouldn't be and aren't forced to give to charities for public schooling.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the fact is that people are forced to pay for public schooling through taxation, which is essentially equivalent to forced donation to a charity. The public schools have no real accountability to the people paying for them, so there is little incentive to improve. In a voluntary society, a charity- or profit-driven school would be accountable to its benefactors or customers lest it fail to gather enough funds to stay open.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Please give generously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time anyone profited from giving to charity?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a three-step process, it was three different options.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is the idea. "Other people aren't going to do what I think they should do, so I'll use violence to get compliance."