Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Bad spot w/ the worst hand in holdem

How do you guys play this?

Woodenly and unyieldingly, obviously. Whenever I get AQ I forget about every previous time I've gotten it, every hand in the tournament up to this point, and anything about the "villain" or his play, despite the obvious trap bet from position.

I also ignore the fact that I've got 18BBs at a point late in the tournament, and remind myself that others will consider me "weak" if I don't do the same thing that everyone else does with AQo in this spot.

What I won't do is call, bet 9k on any flop, and reevaluate based on my opponent's action because there is such a world of difference between how an 18BB stack plays compared to a 14BB stack late in a tournament. Thinking makes me sleepy!

I won't consider folding because he has exposed that he is an idiot for minraising the button, and therefore has gotten lucky all the way up to this point. To scold him I will elect to risk my entire stack, guaranteeing that I lose the most when beaten, everytime.

"If I call, I'm OOP with 2 high cards ... and I'm not sure what I'm rooting for on the flop."

Bingo! Listen to your instincts, and don't let the cards blind you. Is it a tough decision if you for AJ? KQ? A9s? 88?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM

The pot is getting big :

Blinds + Antes + min-raise = close to 12,000.

By the way a stack of 22BBs, plays even bettor than 18BBs or 14 BBs.

AQo is Good agaiinst min-raise from Button, so I would re-raise to 24,000...because I'm OOP and don't want to play this hand OOP against a random hand... I don't want to fold to a worst hand.

You can call and play the flop, but don't just bet 9k on any flop. If an Ace flops or a Q, I am going to felt and only try to get the most I can from him (too bad if it's AK or AA, KK)
Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM

"You can call and play the flop, but don't just bet 9k on any flop. If an Ace flops or a Q, I am going to felt and only try to get the most I can from him (too bad if it's AK or AA, KK)"

What does that mean? You still want to disguise your hand. By going to the felt are you open pushing, check-raising, check-calling?

"AQo is Good agaiinst min-raise from Button"
I didn't glean enough info about villain from OP to see this. Without knowing how far from the money, how many rotations you've seen with him, his action on previous hands (or yours), I don't know how you can.

24k is worse than pushing.

9k is a bit over 1/2 pot, it's a good bet whether or not you hit. It makes no sense to give no respect to his min-raise, and then believe that the only way you can win is by pushing. If he's a min-raise thief or nervous about the bubble, that 9k should be enough to fold him out. He can't be dumb enough to steal with a minraise and then smart enough to believe his bottom pair is good.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:29 PM

Look at it this way:

If I'm you at the moment I'm dealt AQ at this table, I am praying that it folds to the button, and that the Button raises, so that I can push and remind him to stay the f away from my blind. I am particularly excited this time because for once I get to do this with an actual hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If I call, I'm OOP with 2 high cards (with a hand that I despise) and I'm not sure what I'm rooting for on the flop. If the A hits, he might have me broke w/ AK or if the Q hits, he might have AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you flop QQT he might have TT, and if you flop AQT, he might have KJ.

There is no monster in the closet. Sorry you lost the hand.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:42 PM

I say you make a mini-raise of 6,000 more, which will appear as strength (i.e. asking for a call), and so if he doesn't have a hand, he'll fold. If he pushes, you're probably beat, and you fold. If he just calls, he likely has a marginal hand, AQ or less, or a smaller pocket pair.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at it this way:

If I'm you at the moment I'm dealt AQ at this table, I am praying that it folds to the button, and that the Button raises, so that I can push and remind him to stay the f away from my blind. I am particularly excited this time because for once I get to do this with an actual hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If I call, I'm OOP with 2 high cards (with a hand that I despise) and I'm not sure what I'm rooting for on the flop. If the A hits, he might have me broke w/ AK or if the Q hits, he might have AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you flop QQT he might have TT, and if you flop AQT, he might have KJ.

There is no monster in the closet. Sorry you lost the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so any button raise is a steal?

Where do you play? I wanna double my bankroll.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:13 PM

This is silly reasoning and you know it. If this ONE case he had one of the FOUR hands that we are afraid of, then congrats to him. But come on, just because the OP's tone is scared doesn't mean that our responses should be.

Brad
Old 02-21-2006, 07:22 PM

Dude, do you see the stack sizes and blinds here?

With the raise the button made, there's 13500 in the pot. That's 1/4 of Hero's stack. A normal raise would have made it 15-16K in the pot. Don't make me do the hand range math.

27 hands we hate, out of 1225, out of like, 300 that any decent button is raising with here. 27!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say you make a mini-raise of 6,000 more, which will appear as strength (i.e. asking for a call), and so if he doesn't have a hand, he'll fold. If he pushes, you're probably beat, and you fold. If he just calls, he likely has a marginal hand, AQ or less, or a smaller pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible, awful, bad play. No offense man, but a minraise does NOTHING to help you here.

If he's min-raising a suited connector, he'll have odds to call a re-min-raise.

ITS A POOOOOOOOOOOSH. Accumulate. Accumulate. Had villian misraised before and shown down a strong hand? Had villian stolen blinds EVER. Was this one of the few times it folded to him on the button?

AQo is ahead of almost any thinking player's range here, and most donks too.

Calling is better than folding by a lot, but pushing is better than calling by a mile.

You need to stop with "If I have this, and flop this, he could have this."

Guess what, you had could AhAs and he could have AdAc, and can beat you. Fold AA now?

POOOOOOOOOOOSH.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is silly reasoning and you know it. If this ONE case he had one of the FOUR hands that we are afraid of, then congrats to him. But come on, just because the OP's tone is scared doesn't mean that our responses should be.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - I'd be happy to push AQo here. If you take down the pot, you get almost 3BB plus your own blind.
Besides, you get a strong table image, and your blind will be far more protected.
I don't understand either, why he would minraise the button with AK - but I don't understand either, why some people would minraise KTo or A2o here - but you see it happen all the time.
You are much ahead of the standard villains range here, so a fold would be awfully weak IMO.