Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Question about knocking Yankees 1st Baseman Unconscious

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody broke the rules here, why should the Sox be penalized? It was just kind of a bad/unfortunate play...Cano should have made a better throw, and Minky got unlucky that he fell back right as Lowell got to the bag. You can even see Lowell twisting his body somewhat to try to get out of the way. This is just a regular baseball play with a freak injury. Someone posted a vid of a pitcher getting hit on a comeback...same deal, you wouldn't stop there for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd keep running on both. The pitching hit there's no question on, they're part of the field. The running into thing is a little more murky for me. If it's intentional/over the top then, yeah there should be a penelty, if not then play on, like a hard run into home. That's not what I was talking about though (explained above).

Cody
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM

why don't you just watch the clip already so you can form a real opinion?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why don't you just watch the clip already so you can form a real opinion?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me. I've said (twice now) that that isn't what I was refering too, and then I apologized to Punk because I misread something he wrote. Yet you keep asking for something about this particular play. I've since watched it, it looks like it was just an accidental hit, [censored] happens, play on. Of course this wasn't what I was originally talking about, but whatever, something tells me any further explaination wouldn't help.

Cody
Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 PM

There should be something disconcerting about advancing and scoring because the fielder was unconsious and might have a concussion, but there's really no way to avoid it at all, what else was youkilis supposed to do? He had his head down and was running hard like he should, then the balls loose and he has to run to second, theres no way a runner can do anything about it.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[sarcasm]I am still steamed about the batter not stopping after this occured[/sarcasm]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC8MVN9XaY

[/ QUOTE ]

"All your runs scored." -- Heather Clement
Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The batter has the right to the base path under pretty much any circumstances. You're not supposed to hit the 1B because he isn't really obstructing you when you try to run through 1B (usually you run out towards the RF line and he stretches back towards the infield). I've never seen somebody do a takeout slide into first on a close play, and don't know what the ruling would be, but I can only imagine that it would result in some chin music with the quickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Runners are taught to run in foul territory because if the fielder is making an attempt to field the ball, then he has the right to the basepath. If there is a collision, then obstruction should be called on the runner.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The batter has the right to the base path under pretty much any circumstances. You're not supposed to hit the 1B because he isn't really obstructing you when you try to run through 1B (usually you run out towards the RF line and he stretches back towards the infield). I've never seen somebody do a takeout slide into first on a close play, and don't know what the ruling would be, but I can only imagine that it would result in some chin music with the quickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Runners are taught to run in foul territory because if the fielder is making an attempt to field the ball, then he has the right to the basepath. If there is a collision, then obstruction should be called on the runner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you're somewhere in the middle of the bases, but how do you run in foul territory when the fielder has his foot on the bag?

Lowell ran exactly where he was supposed to, Minky fell into his path.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm not referring to the specific case at hand - just saying in general the idea of "runner has the right to the basepath" is actually not true.