Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 4bet pre 5/10

this hand is real easy just slip FTP Doug the tongue and hit an offsuit Q
Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AQ is the worst possible hand in the game of poker to make this play preflop against a 16/13 when you have been tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this. I'm not completely convinced so i want to know what others think, but if i HAD to put a 'move' on this guy i think AQ is the hand i'd want.

Lets say i can't have AK AA KK QQ as that's not really a move. That leaves me with the choices of hand groups TT 78s A2s, now in this situation if my move fails and he shoves, all of them get folded, but if he calls i think i would def prefer AQ here. His calling range on average is probably AK AA KK QQ JJ. AQ has the best equity out of those hands against that range and the advantage that TT has is beating AK but that isn't worth tons as i'm probably going to be able to fold that out if this guy doesn't play super tough.

FWIW, in this hand no way i get involved.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:40 AM

that 4 bet has got you in a mess and i dont really see much of a way to get out of it. i dont like the 4 bet and i think at this point you are likely to lose all your chips but i dont see a way around it.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:53 AM

this seems to be a likely race.. or ur crushed.. oneor the other!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:49 AM

wtf fold pf. duh.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM

if you're tight and he knows this.. and he's 16/13, I don't see him putting in $330 pf with AK. He would probably know that if he pairs his K he's going to often be in a situation where he often loses a big pot to AA or doesnt get much value from QQ or worse. If he does make his pair of aces he's not often getting paid off by KK-JJ because of his image. For this reason I would assume his range pf is mostly just QQ-AA... more likely AA/KK imo. I would think he's got KK with Kd here or AA most of the time. Would kind of be surprised if 16/13 is putting in 1/5 his stack here pf with AK against a tight player. The range he should be putting you on when you 4 bet... AK doesnt do well against that range, has reverse implied odds when he hits and not much value when it misses, which it will be doing alot of the time.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And postflop, just shove the flop. C/R is almost as bad as preflop, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this part. I think open shoving the flop would be the worst way to play it. He's not folding anything that beats AQ unless he's a complete moron, so the goal is to get all-in with pair + diamond hands (KK/QQ/whatever). If you open shove, maybe KdK calls, but the others probably fold. Either bet half-pot and obv call a shove or push the turn or checkraise like Hero did here.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:08 PM

why would he possibly bet KKd here if you check? if you push he'll call.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
c/f flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands do you think he's betting when we check this flop?

Glad i could amuse you, but it seems pretty fkn obv to me lol [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just drop it pre, vs this guy, his range is pretty strong. OTOH, he might be able to make some big laydowns, if you've been tight.

You have no reason to suspect he's calling the 4bet light, so all of his range either beats you, or is dying to see showdown, and probably doesn't want to put too much money in, and will rarely be weak enough where he'd consider turning his hand into a bluff. It sucks to give free cards on a monotone board, but there just isn't much value to be had here. I'd put in one street of action here, somewhere, and I'd prefer to be the bettor, since he can put me on a bluff easier than I put him on a bluff.

After he bets the flop, I'd be really worried that my hand is no good.

[ QUOTE ]
As I wrote in his last AQ post, sometimes it is necessary to turn your hand into a bluff EVEN WHEN YOU HIT THE FLOP

[/ QUOTE ]
This comment really doesn't apply at all to this hand, or 4bet pots with big cards in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I was still hung up on the last post he made with AQ and wanted to reiterate (even though it is off subject). If i recall though, I did offer advice on hand as played.

Thanks for pointing out my unecessary rant though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]