Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: what do you learn by grinding up a BR at the micros ?

I have to admit there is significantly more to poker than I initially anticipated. I was kind of expecting to master it in a couple of days. How little I knew lol...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micro limit is for the poor people who can't afford higher limits,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or smart people who are serious about learning the art of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Hey mind, I have also been there at the penny NL tables. It wasn't to grind out a bankroll though, it was to really try and learn the game. I'm sure there are better ways to do it out there, but I figured I'd learn the game from the smallest limits(and worst players) to the highest. And, as for multi-tabling, I've done quite a bit of it and don't believe it will truly improve your game. What I did to keep my patience at the pennies( as I was trying to ignore the fact that I was earning about $2.hr) was take notes on players. Lots of notes. In time, I could 'know' what to expect from most players within a few trips around the blinds. I am at $.10/.25 now having one hell of a time(tilt and lack of time) building up, but I stopped multi-tabling months ago. But, that's just imo. I am, of course, just a new guy.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

The most important thing you learn is that you actually play winning poker.

Until you know for a fact you're a winning player, why risk alot at higher stakes?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit there is significantly more to poker than I initially anticipated. I was kind of expecting to master it in a couple of days. How little I knew lol...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is EXACTLY what I went through the first time I played the micros on about $50. I did admittedly get some bad-beats, but I also played poorly too. With my second deposit of $100 I have moved over $3.5K (about $3000 of it this past semester) after spending several intervening months really working on my game. All of my work has been a steady progression through micro-limit games starting at $10 NL and ending now at a mix of $25 and $50 NL right now. It pays to play up (at least for most I think).
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Hey thanks for ALL the responses guys. I really wasnt expecting this much input although it is much appreciated!

Im goign to stick to my original plan of spending at least 2 months in the micros for a number of the reasons stated above [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM

I planed to spend 2 months in the micros back when I started gringing NL. That was 10 months ago. I recently moved back up to the limit I started playing at, and I recently got my bank roll even with my initial deposit.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you learn patience, which to me is the number one priority to learning to control your bank roll. If you have no patience, then you will fly through your roll and have to deposit again. I find playing micro cash games really help my patience level.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can totally relate to this... dont know how many times i've deposited 20-25 and ran it up to 400-600 only to lose it on some super tilt after running up to higher levels too fast

i'm back up at that bankroll range from minimal, but i'm sticking to that 'grind it at the cash tables, play lots of low buy in tournaments' motto and i'm faring very well with it

just be patient, stick with it... play lots of tourneys where, if you find out you're lasting long, then you're doing your magic

i play like a rock in most every micro tourney i buy in... but, once i get to the final table i vary my play more... and i know that i've made 6 final tables in the past month, won 5 of them and came in 2nd in the other... that's what's making me realize that i'm better than the field... that, when it gets to the end and i have some chips to work with i can still win without being a rock