Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Phil Laak: Why Has This Guy Never Gotten a Big Sponsorship Deal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The thing I don't get is why Jen (Phil, too, but especially Jen) would be interested in sponsorship a all.

She's a highly accomplished movie star who (as we know) has made tens of millions of dollars in Hollywood, so I would think she'd have little interest in shilling for an online gambling site or learning Cantonese "in order to be useful." Lolovert. And with a sugar momma like that, no way I'd be trying to put on an ugly jersey for a poker site, if I were Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking?

Tilly was basically a B movie actress. People in Hollywood blow through money worse than gamblers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was near busto (other than her apparently rich ex hubby). Most actresses of Tilly's level are doing local commercials and infomercials at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloom,

you are wrong. She's obviously not Julia Roberts, but Tilly is a real, talented actress and established sex symbol. I can think of at least two memorable J. Tilly roles (I believe that her sister, Meg, also played the main character in Agnes of God)--Let it Ride and Bound--and that's two more memorable roles than most actresses have.

Also, yeah, she married Sam Simon, thus making tens of millions in Hollywood, she's kind of very accomplished and awesome, despite your viewpoint.

Also, Jen, if you are reading this, please set me up with Gina Gershon.

Edit: She was also awesome in Liar Liar!

All, the Tilly/wealth thing has been done to death in a recent thread.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 PM

Oh hey, I found these quotes, WOW she has points from the Simpsons she will never ever have to work ever:

"Howard was getting a headache from the whole thing so he took a call from Jennifer’s ex-husband, Sam Simon. Jennifer now has a Black AmEx card because of the divorce. She says that the money is still coming into her so it’s never going to end. Sam said that Jennifer actually told him not to have any dealings with The Simpsons back when they started out. Howard wondered if Sam has given Jennifer more than 20 million. Sam said it has to be more than that but Jennifer said she’s going to get an auditor to find out if that’s right. Sam told Howard that she keeps demanding more and more money. He said that she recently came to him and said she wanted to talk to him about something. He was hoping that she was going to give him his points back for The Simpsons but all she did was thank him. Jennifer said that she wanted him to put his talents into something that would be successful, because she didn’t think The Simpsons would be successful. Jennifer says that she still has to work these days to pay her bills to live her lifestyle. Sam said that she bought her house for cash and she lives down the street from Don Simpson who is a producer. [Marks Friggin]

For those of you who read that excerpt, you can bitch out Jennifer Tilly in a simple comment. Oh yeah, the reference to the Black Amex card sounds kinda sadistic, but it has a beautiful story behind it. Apparently Sam was on previously and told Howard that one of the clauses in the divorce settlement forced him to refill the card with $250k/year for Jennifer Tilly’s personal expenditures. Pretty damn hilarious, to say the least!"

http://www.bastardly.com/archives/20...orld/#comments
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Also, lol @ anyone who looks at her credits and doesn't they constitute an extremely successful career in show business.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:09 PM

OliverT, as always thanks for the info. Now could you tell us all, in detail, what is the difference between a Tier 1 deal and a Tier 2 deal, with the pokersites.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OliverT, as always thanks for the info. Now could you tell us all, in detail, what is the difference between a Tier 1 deal and a Tier 2 deal, with the pokersites.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "Tier 1" deal, such as deals offered to "Team Full Tilt" players and the deals offered to PokerStars.net "World Champions", requires a player to appear on TV ads. That is the only way to justify the mid-six-figure to seven-figure per year sponsorship package.

(TV ads are still worth much more than newspaper or internet ads because TV can deliver hundreds of thousands of viewers at a time for a more lengthy period of time, up to 30 seconds.)

A "Tier 2" deal, such as "Full Tilt Pro" and some of the smaller deals at PokerStars.net (i.e. William Chen, Vanessa Rousso), do not include the use of a players likeness, image, and/or voice in TV ads. Those deals are generally in the five-figures per year.

Online poker "school" sponsorship deals are basically marketing "jobs" being performed by poker players acting as independent contractors. Each deal, or "job", has its obligations, including required personal appearances, both in person and online, to represent a particular sponsor.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The thing I don't get is why Jen (Phil, too, but especially Jen) would be interested in sponsorship a all.

She's a highly accomplished movie star who (as we know) has made tens of millions of dollars in Hollywood, so I would think she'd have little interest in shilling for an online gambling site or learning Cantonese "in order to be useful." Lolovert. And with a sugar momma like that, no way I'd be trying to put on an ugly jersey for a poker site, if I were Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking?

Tilly was basically a B movie actress. People in Hollywood blow through money worse than gamblers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she was near busto (other than her apparently rich ex hubby). Most actresses of Tilly's level are doing local commercials and infomercials at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloom,

you are wrong. She's obviously not Julia Roberts, but Tilly is a real, talented actress and established sex symbol. I can think of at least two memorable J. Tilly roles (I believe that her sister, Meg, also played the main character in Agnes of God)--Let it Ride and Bound--and that's two more memorable roles than most actresses have.

Also, yeah, she married Sam Simon, thus making tens of millions in Hollywood, she's kind of very accomplished and awesome, despite your viewpoint.

Edit: She was also awesome in Liar Liar!

[/ QUOTE ]

She also showed real chops with her Oscar-nominated performance in Bullets Over Broadway, and can pretty much get any voice work she wants. Pretty sure the Family Guy is paying her just fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, lol @ anyone who looks at her credits and doesn't they constitute an extremely successful career in show business.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could've kept on leveling had you not inserted the linky . . .
Old 05-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Enough about Jennifer. This post is about why THE UNABOMBER gets no big sponsorship deals!! SO WHY DOESN'T HE!!??
Old 05-22-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think maybe there's an underlying thread of people here who don't want to admit she has had a very successful Hollywood career because a lot of her work is kind of crappy material, and also cause she has played some bad poker on TV. But yeah, she's pretty bigtime, I'm sure if I asked 10 random people I knew, they'd all know who she was. She IS a big star. Some of her movies are just, eh. Bound is good though. Gina Gershon is SLIGHTLY hot in it. Just a little.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Enough about Jennifer. This post is about why THE UNABOMBER gets no big sponsorship deals!! SO WHY DOESN'T HE!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is his nickname doesn't resonate well with marketers and their target audience.