Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Yet another how much do you tip? BMers inside...

[ QUOTE ]
i think the point that people are missing is that it was the owner who delivered the food, not the delivery person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why that would matter. What if the owner waited on you in the restaurant?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM

Because he's getting all of the profit and paying zero wages for the service, I guess.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM

You tip a dollar per item like a reasonable person. Tipping on take out is the thing people argue about(and I'm clueless regarding), tipping for delivery and eating in are solved problems.

You don't tip because you feel sorry for the waiter, do you? The waiter at a reasonably nice place makes more than me, should I start stiffing him?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because he's getting all of the profit and paying zero wages for the service, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be the reasoning.

This isn't something I made up to be cheap or anything also. I think it is a fairly common practice and I also believe that quite a few business owners don't accept tips either.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You don't tip because you feel sorry for the waiter, do you? The waiter at a reasonably nice place makes more than me, should I start stiffing him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do tip quite more percentage wise at cheaper places for this reason. Waffle House waitresses love me.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought...he get all the profit and obviously isn't about to go bankrupt or anything so he could afford to hire a delivery guy/gal. Still I feel bad not tipping so I tip cause the food is worth it.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the point that people are missing is that it was the owner who delivered the food, not the delivery person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why that would matter. What if the owner waited on you in the restaurant?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was taught that you do not tip the owner of any establishment, it is an insult.

BUT: You may remember them and/or the establishment as a group with a gift on special occasions.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:05 AM

The reason why the owner is doing deliveries is because the regular driver called in sick, or quit, etc. Chances are he's not real happy about being stuck doing the deliveries.

So, yeah, definately tip him! Particularly if you're a regular. If you're a regular anywhere always err on the side of overtipping. You prevent nasty things happening to your food and you're often rewarded - free stuff, discounts and deals, higer quality food, advice (what's particularly good, what's not), etc. If it's the owner, particularly in a small, "family" restaurant even more reason to make a good impression:

Driver: Taking this order over to OP's house.
Owner: Hey, they're good guys! I have a bunch of extra X, take some of these over too.

Or

Driver: Okay, I need an order of X for OP's house.
Owner: Wait a sec, that batch is kinda old. There's a fresh batch coming right up.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason why the owner is doing deliveries is because the regular driver called in sick, or quit, etc. Chances are he's not real happy about being stuck doing the deliveries.

So, yeah, definately tip him! Particularly if you're a regular. If you're a regular anywhere always err on the side of overtipping. You prevent nasty things happening to your food and you're often rewarded - free stuff, discounts and deals, higer quality food, advice (what's particularly good, what's not), etc. If it's the owner, particularly in a small, "family" restaurant even more reason to make a good impression:

Driver: Taking this order over to OP's house.
Owner: Hey, they're good guys! I have a bunch of extra X, take some of these over too.

Or

Driver: Okay, I need an order of X for OP's house.
Owner: Wait a sec, that batch is kinda old. There's a fresh batch coming right up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is that it's always the owner I just never noticed until I had to go downstairs and get my food then went to eat in their restaurant for the lunch brunch.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was taught that you do not tip the owner of any establishment, it is an insult.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the owner is also the delivery guy...I was taught to always tip the delivery guy. Hence my dilemma.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd definitely tip him. For some reason, the normal delivery dude wasn't available. The owner feels that customer service is important enough that he personally made the delivery instead of making OP wait even longer for his food. Seems worthy of a pretty good tip to me.