Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: AQs against a nit. I play like [censored]

rr pf for sure. This guy not only has a wide opening range in CO, he's folding to your 3 bet a ton. It's true that if called by this guy, I would rather have 56s than AQ, but the bottom line is line AQ isn't horrible against his range and you want to take it down right there. So I think agaisnt a nit, rr > folding > calling. On the other hand, if nit raises UTG, i fold AQ in blinds for sure.

As far as how hand went, c/c flop is good. I prob b/f turn. This nit is not bluff raising you on turn, so you can safely fold if raise. He'll probably call KQ/QJ and look to check down river.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
rr pf for sure. This guy not only has a wide opening range in CO, he's folding to your 3 bet a ton. It's true that if called by this guy, I would rather have 56s than AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common urban myth I hear about all the freaking time, and it is horribly misguided.

If he calls he has a PP a huge % of the time. Being able to spike the Ace is worth WAY more than the tiny % chance you will flop two-pair or trips vs. the pocket pair that dominates you.

If you flop an A-high board, you don't have to go broke, and indeed it is pretty [censored] unlikely that your opponent wants to go broke with an unimproved PP on an A-high board, so you need to stop and think about how you should play A-high boards.

And if you flop nothing and c-bet and get called, which do you think is better, turning a pair of 5s or turning a pair of queens or Aces. Stop and think about your opponent's range if he calls your c-bet before you answer this question.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rr pf for sure. This guy not only has a wide opening range in CO, he's folding to your 3 bet a ton. It's true that if called by this guy, I would rather have 56s than AQ

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a common urban myth I hear about all the freaking time, and it is horribly misguided.

If he calls he has a PP a huge % of the time. Being able to spike the Ace is worth WAY more than the tiny % chance you will flop two-pair or trips vs. the pocket pair that dominates you.

If you flop an A-high board, you don't have to go broke, and indeed it is pretty [censored] unlikely that your opponent wants to go broke with an unimproved PP on an A-high board, so you need to stop and think about how you should play A-high boards.

And if you flop nothing and c-bet and get called, which do you think is better, turning a pair of 5s or turning a pair of queens or Aces. Stop and think about your opponent's range if he calls your c-bet before you answer this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Against a 21/17 i agree. We're talking about a 13/9 here. Especially if he views you as tight and you have no big history with him.

If he calls your pf rr and calls your flop bet on A high flop (especially if you make flop bet a biggish 75-80%), you're in trouble. He's folding non ace big pairs a ton. This is a guy you can muscle off his big pairs. That's why 56s is fine. On the other hand, with low board that hits you hard, he'll pay off with his QQ-AA pretty quick.