Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: 60+ degree Wedges

[ QUOTE ]
II have a hard time getting enough height on a regular pitching wedge and if I do get it up high enough it's hard to stop the ball.

What do you think, should I consider a 60 degree wedge for this type of shot or should I try and develop nerves of steel (and learn how to open up and hit down on a regular wedge)?

[/ QUOTE ]

a pitching wedge (~47 degrees) and a lob wedge are not your only options. there's like 12-14 degrees difference in their lofts. taht's a ton.

you shouldn't be opening up a "regular wedge" assuming you mean a pitching wedge.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5-30 yards off the green

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really not where you should be using lob wedges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this? I've read Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, and he seems to be saying that this is exactly where you should be hitting lob wedges. I don't know how familiar you are with him, but he also says that people shoot lower scores if they dump a long club and pick up both a 60* and 64* wedge.

I hit a full sand wedge about 105 yards, and thus am forced to make less than full shots frequently. It seems like a 60* wedge would help me out a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
From 5 yards off the green you don't need to hit the ball high. Just chip it up to the green and get it on the ground as quickly as possible. It's easier to control.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM

You're right that there's a big gap between a PW (48) and a LW (60), and that the 60 isn't the only option. I'm not comfortable with using my sand wedge for these shots. I don't otherwise feel a need for a gap wedge - I'm pretty comfortable hitting the PW from 100 in, it's just the short, uphill, stop it quick shots that I don't have a clue on.

What am I missing?

edit: Looked it up, my PW is a 50.5
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning on purchasing a 60 degree wedge (and possibly a 64) and I'm looking for comments as to what people play and recommend. I realize most of it is personal preference and what feels good, but I'd still like to hear what people have to say.

It's hard for me to know whether or not I should be spending $100+ for a current-model cleveland type wedge, or if a $60 model is going to accomplish the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 53 Cleveland. Love it.
I have a 56 Titleist. A lot of bounce. Good sand club.
I have a 60 knock-off $15 special. I use it two or three times a round and it serves its purpose fine. I can't imagine playing a club with any more loft!

For those of you having trouble stopping a wedge on the green consider playing a softer golf ball. I play Pro-V1's when the course is playing firm, usually SoLo's when the course is softer. You can get a ball like the SoLo for $20/dozen. Otherwise it may be time for a short game lesson?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just the short, uphill, stop it quick shots that I don't have a clue on.

What am I missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where a 60 will help you out.
Open stance, open face, slide under the ball and it comes out high and soft. <requires some practice, of course>
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM

Zirconia -

I bought a generic 64 degree off of ebay for $15. I can take a nice full swing from 20-30 yards off the green and pop it right over any bunker or small tree. It's basically an automatic flop shot. I use out of the bunker as well. I've had this club for 2+ years now and it's still in good shape.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that we're talking about 5-30 yard very straight forward shots(no hills, bunkers to go over, etc). I can virtually guarentee you that you would score lower by learning some bump and run style shots with a 7,8,9 iron, or even a pitching wedge if you wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

The shots I'm talking about are not "very straight forward." They're shots to elevated greens in which the ball has to roll a significantly shorter distance than it flew in the air.

I already know how to hit a bump and run. I hit them all the time. But a bump and run is not possible in the situations I'm referring to.

[ QUOTE ]
From 5 yards off the green you don't need to hit the ball high. Just chip it up to the green and get it on the ground as quickly as possible. It's easier to control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. But I'm not talking about just five yards off the green.

As stated several times before, I understand that it is generally better to hit the ball on the ground than in the air. Sometimes it's not possible.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zirconia -

I bought a generic 64 degree off of ebay for $15. I can take a nice full swing from 20-30 yards off the green and pop it right over any bunker or small tree. It's basically an automatic flop shot. I use out of the bunker as well. I've had this club for 2+ years now and it's still in good shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of space to me. I can do that with a 60* and also hit it farther from the fairway. 60-70.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Zirconia -

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of space to me. I can do that with a 60* and also hit it farther from the fairway. 60-70.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking I'm just going to get a 60* wedge. Two of the high loft wedges sounds like overkill.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM

jesus christ. i have a 50*, 54* and 60* titleist wedges and cant think of any other clubs in the bag i use more than those 3. Every shot within 135 yards im using one of the 3 and within 95-100 yards im using the 60* 75% of the time or more. I feel that the 60* for anyone less than a 10 handicap is an absolute must because of the versatility of the club.