Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: Lots of milk

Skunk: Lol, can you say conflicting studies? Tons of scientific support for milk and against it!

Just like anything else, moderation is probably the key. The answer is usually in the middle.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:48 PM

It has been more or less. A lot of my anti-milk sentiments come from paleolithic diet literature freaks.

All I know is, when I quit milk my stomach wasn't as upset in the morning as it used to be, I got on a regular bathroom schedule compared to SPRINT to the bathroom within 45 minutes of consuming milk products.

For a while I ate cottage cheese (like a pint a day) and didn't have as severe repercussions...however I noticed I was consistently congested. Nothing major, just minor, always had congestion, it got me thinking, cut it out for 2 weeks, see what happens. Boom. No more congestion... So while it wasn't a major allergy, I think it was minor enough to make a difference.

That's not to say that I have totally cut it off. A lot of people think I have gone nuts quitting all processed carbs, rice, potato, dairy, etc... I still eat this stuff, but it's not a part of my regular diet. As in, the only things in my house are meat/vegetables/fruit/fat. When I go out to eat I'll get a cheeseburger, or nachos or whatever, to keep things easy and from having to get into diet wars with people.

That being said, ever since I've gotten on paleo I have felt incredible.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:05 PM

lol you're a paleolithic freak! That explains it. I think a lot of the recommendations are correct -- stay away from refined, processed foods, etc. -- but I really wonder about the logic behind it, about how our bodies are best suited to run on ancient, unprocessed foods.

I would like to read some more research about milk. LINKS PLZ kthx
Old 04-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Mostly just replacing a good amount of water with milk. When you're putting away 6-7k calories a day though, there are definitely a few times when you feel like gagging.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has been more or less. A lot of my anti-milk sentiments come from paleolithic diet literature freaks.

All I know is, when I quit milk my stomach wasn't as upset in the morning as it used to be, I got on a regular bathroom schedule compared to SPRINT to the bathroom within 45 minutes of consuming milk products.

For a while I ate cottage cheese (like a pint a day) and didn't have as severe repercussions...however I noticed I was consistently congested. Nothing major, just minor, always had congestion, it got me thinking, cut it out for 2 weeks, see what happens. Boom. No more congestion... So while it wasn't a major allergy, I think it was minor enough to make a difference.

That's not to say that I have totally cut it off. A lot of people think I have gone nuts quitting all processed carbs, rice, potato, dairy, etc... I still eat this stuff, but it's not a part of my regular diet. As in, the only things in my house are meat/vegetables/fruit/fat. When I go out to eat I'll get a cheeseburger, or nachos or whatever, to keep things easy and from having to get into diet wars with people.

That being said, ever since I've gotten on paleo I have felt incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think part of the issue is that different people can have very different tolerances for lactose. As many of you already know, humans are the only mammals capable of digesting milk after childhood because of a genetic mututation that arose in northern europe a couple thousand years agos. Although that gene has become very widespread, it is my understanding that it is not an on or off type gene. Some people may will be better at digesting lactose than others. Personally I can consume large quantities of dairy with 0 gastrointestinal discomfort.

My biggest concern with milk, though, is the hormones and [censored] that they inject into the cows, not the lactose. Ad far as how bad those are, I have no idea.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:18 PM

slickpoppa,

I also have a pretty awesome tolerance for lactose despite being Asian. I can put away a carton of milk a day without a hiccup. It's a cheap, easy way for me to get protein in and it has anabolic benefits, but a couple things are starting to concern me:

1) The high insulin index of milk (it causes a large insulin response, apparently)
2) Its effects on our own hormones (and does organic milk ease this fear?)
3) The link between IGF-1 and acne
4) ???
5) PROFIT
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 PM

You want info, I'll give you some damn info!

[ QUOTE ]
The University of Tennessee, 1215 W. Cumberland Ave, Room 229, Knoxville, TN 37996-1920, USA. mzemel@utk.edu

Dietary calcium appears to play a pivotal role in the regulation of energy metabolism and obesity risk. High calcium diets attenuate body fat accumulation and weight gain during periods of over-consumption of an energy-dense diet and to increase fat breakdown and preserve metabolism during caloric restriction, thereby markedly accelerating weight and fat loss. This effect is mediated primarily by circulating calcitriol, which regulates adipocyte intracellular Ca(2+). Studies of human adipocyte metabolism demonstrate a key role for intracellular Ca(2+) in regulating lipid metabolism and triglyceride storage, with increased intracellular Ca(2+) resulting in stimulation of lipogenic gene expression and lipogenesis and suppression of lipolysis, resulting in adipocyte lipid filling and increased adiposity. Moreover, the increased calcitriol produced in response to low calcium diets stimulates adipocyte Ca(2+) influx and, consequently, promotes adiposity, while higher calcium diets inhibit lipogenesis, promote lipolysis, lipid oxidation and thermogenesis and inhibit diet-induced obesity in mice. Notably, dairy sources of calcium exert markedly greater effects in attenuating weight and fat gain and accelerating fat loss. This augmented effect of dairy products versus supplemental calcium has been localized, in part, to the whey fraction of dairy and is likely due to additional bioactive compounds, such as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors in dairy, as well as the rich concentration of branched chain amino acids, which act synergistically with calcium to attenuate adiposity; however, these compounds do not fully account for the observed effects, as whey has significantly greater bioactivity than found in these compounds. These concepts are confirmed by epidemiological data as well as recent clinical trials which demonstrate that diets which include at least three daily servings of dairy products result in significant reductions in body fat mass in obese humans in the absence of caloric restriction and markedly accelerates the weight and body fat loss secondary to caloric restriction compared to low dairy diets. These data indicate an important role for dairy products in both the ability to maintain a healthy weight and the management of overweight and obesity.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006 Jun;70(6):1533-6. Related Articles, Links
Click here to read
Possible involvement of calcium signaling pathways in L-leucine-stimulated protein synthesis in l6 myotubes.

Miura Y, Nakazawa T, Yagasaki K.

Department of Applied Biological Science, Tokyo Noko University.

L-Leucine is known to stimulate protein synthesis in L6 myotubes. In the present study, we examined the possible involvement of calcium signaling pathways in the stimulation of protein synthesis induced by L-leucine in L6 myotubes. After 16 h of treatment with L-leucine-depleted medium, the re-addition of L-leucine for 4 h augmented protein synthesis by about 50% as compared with an L-leucine-depleted control. Ryanodine receptor antagonists almost completely abolished the stimulatory effect of L-leucine, while IP(3) receptor antagonists showed partial inhibition when added simultaneously with L-leucine. These results suggest the possibility that calcium signaling pathways are involved in L-leucine-stimulated protein synthesis.

PMID: 16794343 [PubMed - in process]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 PM

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=747439

The Weston Price Foundation lit. has many of the supposed bad things about milk coming after pasturization was introduced for your commercial milk needs.

Like I said, your opening up a whole big bag of worms that I don't know nearly enough about. I tend to think don't drink too much milk, but a bit isn't going to kill you.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are the only species on the planet that regularly drinks the milk from another species. That can't be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are also the only species cares if poop is on our food...while I don't disagree with paleo diets, I always hear this argument for don't drink milk and I think it sucks.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:35 PM

AZK,

I think running a topic on your paleo or near paleo diet and your experience with it would be interesting and lead to valuable debate/discussion in this forum.