Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -relate

[ QUOTE ]
You are absolutely wrong, and would appear to have very little understanding of the human condition. Beyond that, on what basis would you even presume that someone has no connection whatsoever to the events that took place at VT?

What happens every day in Baghdad now is a tragedy. That does not minimize one bit what happened in Blacksburg. Or Phuket. Or Columbine. Or NYC. Or anywhere else.

I'm actually pretty fed up with people who tell other people that expressing their support for those who have lost loved ones, that their behavior is wrong or inappropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tone and message of this post contradict each other.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think when sportswriters talk about something like VT or Cory Lidle 'really putting things in perspective,' and giving these big tributes, it's such a load of crap. Any reasonable person can already put sports in perspective and knows that life is way more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least this part was very well said.

You wanna put things into perspective? Try driving down the Garden State Parkway at 91 mph without wearing a seatbelt. Nothing says "I'm a powerful man" more than breaking 12 ribs, a sternum, a leg, etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance I think when sportswriters talk about something like VT or Cory Lidle 'really putting things in perspective,' and giving these big tributes, it's such a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh, having effing athletes or other people in the spotlight utter that stupid "puts things in perspective" line is go annoying. Thanks Patrick Ewing, thanks for reminding me what should be important in my life. Then again, why we should give a crap what someone in sports or Hollywood thinks of a tragic event unrelated to them is impossibly stupid anyway. Most of these people are dumb and their skills are what makes them rich, not their brains.

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome Dugout episode about this issue

[/ QUOTE ]
This was awesome the first time around. Thanks for the link, will read again.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify, I mostly agree with AZK, although it's one of those things that I don't really bother calling people out on, because it makes you seem like a huge nit / sourpuss or whatever. People can discuss this both in the VT context and outside it, especially if they have other examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call people out to their face unless something happened, I'm just saying it's not my style to post that on my wall or away msg or something. Obviously I'm sorry it happened, I guess I just express things differently.

I get equally upset at the people who do [censored] like "R.I.P Grandma you were the best" in their profiles.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Attention whores who take advantage of horrible events (VT -related)

My biggest problem with people that do this is that it seems to trivialize the pain of people who are really and deeply affected by this tragedy by expressing sympathy in a totally superficial and unecessary manner. If this event somehow impacted you indirectly, I think there have to be better and less self-serving methods of showing support to those that are grieving.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get equally upset at the people who do [censored] like "R.I.P Grandma you were the best" in their profiles.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also get upset by cemeteries, especially tombstones. We should just stuff all corpses in a mass landfill.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with people empathizing with victims of any tragedy, as long as it's genuine, and not something they're doing just because it seems like the sensitive or cool thing to do. Lots of this Facebook group stuff is just that, at least to me---just going along with the group when you really don't care enough to do anything at all about the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

And how would you be able to tell the difference?

Facebook is a social networking site. Lots of people use it to communicate. So, if you use it, why wouldn't you use it to express condolences at this time? Hell, if you wanna say using Facebook in the first place for *anything* is "going along with the group", that's fine, but that's another matter entirely.

If you're just expressing your feelings, and not jumping up and down saying "hey, look at me, aren't I so damn great because I put up this page", then how is that anything *but* genuine? Why does someone putting up some kind of tribute or condolence page automatically become less then genuine?

Maybe you can post links of what you find are particularly disingenuous examples. I have yet to see one where the poster is trying to glorify themselves or make themselves somehow look cool because they did such a thing.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I also get upset by cemeteries, especially tombstones. We should just stuff all corpses in a mass landfill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally different. That tombstone serves as a marker, your aim profile does not. These people are over dramatic.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 PM

I haven't seen any 2+2 examples, but any college-aged kid on facebook I bet can't make it past 10 friends on their list without coming across some sort of VT graphic/quote about the tragedy.

edit: i just checked my facebook, 30 people updated their profile recently (some shouldn't count since they are degenerate poker players and probably don't even know that VT happened yet), 5/30 changed their pic to that god damn VT ribbon. We are all hokies. I'm sorry, I can't help it, that [censored] annoys me to no end.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM

Who is more of an attention whore, those people for their tributes to VT or you for complaining about them on a message board?

Some people are attention whores and some people just have some compassion and feel better when they express themselves in some way. Maybe these things that you despise so much are a small comfort to those who have really suffered tremendous loss in this thing.

Some people feel better when they express themselves by complaining about a bunch of people who they don't even know or care about on a message board.