Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 20 people killed at Virginia Tech

[ QUOTE ]
20 is a lot.

Why are the numbers usually so much smaller in these kinds of things? Are the responders that quick, or are people usually killing themselves faster?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably a number of things. I'm sure most people who do this aren't marksmen, they may not have "enough" ammunition, people scatter, and probably a ton of other things.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone figured out wtf happened yet? How was he able to kill so many people?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a gun, they didn't? And I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but most of the time in this situation only a handful of people are killed. It's hard to fatally shoot a bunch of moving targets, especially with a handgun (though I have no idea what he had). Then you have to reload and this gives people more time to run away.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone figured out wtf happened yet? How was he able to kill so many people?

[/ QUOTE ]

He had a gun, they didn't? And I'm not trying to be sarcastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

And lots of ammo, at least 50 or 60 rounds. He was planning ahead...

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Not to be too gruesome, but I'm kind of surprised the death toll is often so very low when these things happen. This shooter seems different from most.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. And often in these things, the person doing the shooting is fairly inexperienced with guns. I'd always said that Columbine could have been much worse, if those kids had grown up hunting or something like that. Maybe this is a case where someone who actually knew something about guns went nuts.

This is a terrible story. Very, very sad.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. Not to be too gruesome, but I'm kind of surprised the death toll is often so very low when these things happen. This shooter seems different from most.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, someone in the BBV4L thread said "a kid on FoxNews said the kid was heavily armed, wearing a vest covered in clips, going room to room randomly shooting", so like Columbine (which could have been much worse of course) this guy was obv very prepared.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 PM

There probably like 5000 people killed driving their car today, but all you will hear from the media from the next ten years is "Oh my god, how did this happen and isnt it so sad". God, I hate the media.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Fox reporting some of the students were lined up and shot execution style. What a piece of [censored]
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There probably like 5000 people killed driving their car today, but all you will hear from the media from the next ten years is "Oh my god, how did this happen and isnt it so sad". God, I hate the media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, yes, the media, that is what I'm thinking about right now. Thanks for the contribution, GFY!

I really don't want to see the videos and hear the cell phone calls. Is there any way for me to avoid this? FWIW I've managed to see only the initial moments of 911 footage by shutting my eyes very tightly whenever it comes on and putting my fingers in my ears and humming Yesterday by the Beatles.

--GA
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because the kids sitting in class getting shot at with no where to go, should have expected some degree of inherent danger in what they are doing because, alas, 20 people are shot in their classroom every day for goodness sake.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. And often in these things, the person doing the shooting is fairly inexperienced with guns. I'd always said that Columbine could have been much worse, if those kids had grown up hunting or something like that. Maybe this is a case where someone who actually knew something about guns went nuts.

This is a terrible story. Very, very sad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also consider how many exits there are. My college dorm only has 3, while my high school probably had 10 or so. You have a large concentration of people in a small area with few ways to get out, and if there were more than one shooter...