Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Huh? Rippetoe Log

For 5x5 especially don't bother with a belt. It will only hide core weakness. I use them sometimes for heavy singles or doubles squatting or o-lifting. For the vast majority of your lifting, using a belt will be counterproductive imo.

Also, mind putting up the actual poundage for your lifts so we don't have to do the maths?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For 5x5 especially don't bother with a belt. It will only hide core weakness. I use them sometimes for heavy singles or doubles squatting or o-lifting. For the vast majority of your lifting, using a belt will be counterproductive imo.

Also, mind putting up the actual poundage for your lifts so we don't have to do the maths?

[/ QUOTE ]

k...i just like seeing the plate but I'll put the full weight. I'm assuming all of the squat rack bars = 45lbs right
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4/22
B

Squats 3x5x 30 plate on each side
MPress 3x5x 15 plate on each side
PRow 2x5x 15 plate on each side

using 2 45's and a 25 plate stacked on each side defenitly helped...seemed much less pain free and was just below where the bottom of my row is.

Do any of you guys use a belt when lifting...wonder if it might be a good idea for some of these lifts

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't wear a belt and I don't think you should use one. Develop lower back strength.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4/22
B

Squats 3x5x 30 plate on each side
MPress 3x5x 15 plate on each side
PRow 2x5x 15 plate on each side

using 2 45's and a 25 plate stacked on each side defenitly helped...seemed much less pain free and was just below where the bottom of my row is.

Do any of you guys use a belt when lifting...wonder if it might be a good idea for some of these lifts

[/ QUOTE ]

forgot
Squats 3 x 5 x 105 lbs
MPress 3 x 5 x 75 lbs
PRow 3 x 5 x 75 lbs
Pullups 1 x 8 x 100lbs assist / 1 x 5 x 90lbs assist
Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 PM

My right shoulder always is really sore the next day..and it doesnt really feel like muscle sore..more like the bone/rotator cuff when i make a movement with my whole right arm..not even sure if it is my shoulder or like the back upper lat area...goes away usually after a day or two but its just the right shoulder..the left is fine.

not sure if it is because of the shoulder presses or the bent over rows. Should i maybe switch them to opposite workouts a/b, swap one of them them with deads maybe so they are not back to back on the same day?

it goes away in a day or two..but just doesn't feel like normal muscle soreness, though maybe the whole shoulder is simply sore,...and im worried it might get worse as the weights increase

would a change to
A
Squats 3x5
M Press 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Pullups 2x8

B
Sqauts 3x5
Deads 1x5
PRows 3x5
Dips 2x8

work?
Old 04-24-2007, 06:12 PM

I'd listen to the rotator cuff soreness your body is tellin you about. You might want to use your right shoulder when you are 50.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd listen to the rotator cuff soreness your body is tellin you about. You might want to use your right shoulder when you are 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

define listen to it..cuz it goes away after a day

so what u guys recomend i do
Old 04-28-2007, 02:52 AM

4/27
Squat 3x5x 115lbs
Deadlift 1x5x 105lbs
Bench 3x5x 115 lbs

the squats were really tough...i think i'm going to have major problems adding 10 more lbs and my form suffered on the third set.

i can't seem to get the deadlift form down despite watching and reading 8 million different things. I just doesn't feel like a natural movement and i instantly felt like tightness in my lower back/upper hips...especially right in the middle.

maybe i'll try them with way lower weights but I
think I'm going to remove deadlifts completly n maybe add a different exercise in its place..either a leg or back. The squats by them selves seem to completly work my legs n my lower beack hips some. So not sure the deadlifts are worth it given the risk of injuring my lower back esp since I suck at them. Plus my back is not getting the workout I expect just doing rows.

Can't wait to wake up for the nfl draft tomorrow n find out if my lower back is [censored] up.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:35 AM

You might want to do a flexibility program for awhile before you start weight training. If you are inflexible, it can be hard to perform the movements with proper form and you will be prone to injuries.

I use the flexibility program in this book. You might want to work on stretching only for 4-6 weeks before weight training.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to do a flexibility program for awhile before you start weight training. If you are inflexible, it can be hard to perform the movements with proper form and you will be prone to injuries.

I use the flexibility program in this book. You might want to work on stretching only for 4-6 weeks before weight training.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah maybe..it is only deadlifts that seem to cause me any major problems. squats im good the majority of time. im fine with rows now that i stack the weights underneath.