Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: TPNK. 6 way action (109)

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold. Even if you have the best hand at the moment, i think he will usually have a big draw. plus there's always the chance someone wakes up behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone afraid that the villain has a draw? I am ahead of a draw (53/47) and I am getting 1.6:1. I even have odds (42/58) to draw against 8s7s and he is just as likely to be pushing one of the many other spade draws as he is 87s.

Even those in the 'ZOMG tournament life' camp should not be adverse to this gamble as I have more than a healthy stack if he spikes a spade.

Please explain to me why I should be scared of a flip with an overlay
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold. Even if you have the best hand at the moment, i think he will usually have a big draw. plus there's always the chance someone wakes up behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone afraid that the villain has a draw? I am ahead of a draw (53/47) and I am getting 1.6:1. I even have odds (42/58) to draw against 8s7s and he is just as likely to be pushing one of the many other spade draws as he is 87s.

Even those in the 'ZOMG tournament life' camp should not be adverse to this gamble as I have more than a healthy stack if he spikes a spade.

Please explain to me why I should be scared of a flip with an overlay

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you should be afraid of the draw. The problem is that lots of hands besides draws are in his range assuming he is incompetent. The overbet really does look like a draw though...but it could just as easily be a scared middle pair.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 AM

im not even remotely close to being in the zomg tournament life camp. i just think that with several people left to act behind you it is a very marginal shove at best. even if he doesnt have the straight flush draw, his other flush draws will have 1 or 2 over cards. sure he could be doing this with something like 7h8h, but i can also see someone doing this with a hand like Ah6h, trying to protect his hand or whatever. also i do not think this is ever a complete bluff, with his worst hand being something like 64.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 AM

The thing is, you aren't putting in 1000 to win 1600 or whatever, you are putting in 4500.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To those of you in the fold camp:

What do you put the shover on?

[/ QUOTE ]
With 11BB if he's good he shouldn't really be limping anything preflop.
That said, I imagine his range is something like suited connectors (spades after the flop push, or 87/76/65/43), overpairs (mostly 77-JJ, occasionally QQ+), sets (less likely because of the shove, but still in there). However, hands like AsTs+ aren't really in there as much.
I don't have pokerstove with me right now, but I imagine you aren't terrible vs. this range, even though you're typically SA/WB.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you put the people behind me on with their preflop call(/check) and their flop check?

[/ QUOTE ]

Air, monsters, or overcards + flush draws that decided to play it passively but will call your push with good pot odds, and marginal hands that will fold to your push.

In limped pots, though, people often do crazy things. If you were last to act, I could see the argument being made for this to be a call. However, that <10% of the time that you push and one of the others wakes up with a monster or an overpair they don't want to let go of makes this a fold, IMO.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 AM

Results:

I decided that I was flipping with MPs range and was getting 1.6:1 on my call so I reshoved and the BB called.

I was pretty happy to see MP turn over Js8s and the BB turn over 45o giving me 30% equity in the main pot and 68% equity in the sidepot.

I was pretty unhappy when a 4 fell on the river to send me packing.

Obviously this was pretty much the best case scenario when the cards turned over but I am confident that the reshove was the correct play since I was flipping with MP and no one had shown any strength behind me.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 AM

I cant think of a single hand that youre dominating. Your 60/40 or worse against any hand he could have and when the bet is that much I don't think you can call. Also I dont think that the bet is any indication of his hand being a draw because if he bets he has to push.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 AM

the pusher either has a big flush draw with the Ax or Kx
could also have a PP 22-TT

alott of these limps could be either PP 22-99 SC SgC (like TQ JK KT )
Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant think of a single hand that youre dominating.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool, you dominate your opponents every time you play a hand. Coach me plz?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 AM

LOL at MP. This is a $109 tournament? WTF.