Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Multi Way two pair(NL50)

[ QUOTE ]
1. Your hand is see through. You need to be consistent in your actions so people can't pick up a read on you.

2. Your hand only has value when it hits; you won't be able to cbet anyone out of the pot or if you hit the 5 or something. Turn your hand into a bluff, really.

3. OOP = hard to play. If you're IP, just raise it for real and take down the pot or at least take initiative.

There's more but I'm tired, let somoene else finish it.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. My hand is far from see through. Like I said before, I only make this play very infrequently and I doubt anyone at the table would put me on A5 here. My usual play would be to either fold or bet 1.5-2.

2. I am fine with this hand only having value when it hits. I am playing this hand similar to how you would play a low pocket pair multi way. Either it hits and hits big or you fold.

3. I am OOP but I am not playing this hand for top pair value which will make it easier to play. I am playing it just to hit a big hand.

I knew my PF action would bring about debate but that wasn't the focus of my post. I quoted plenty of points Sklansky brought up regarding how this could be a good play and I think anyone would be happy to go to a flop 5 way with a suited ace into a pot that is already a little built up. I don't think anyone posting in microstakes has the credentials to challange Sklansky.

To get back on topic I'll post the remainder of the hand.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.25/$0.50 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

<font color="black">SB: $80.10</font>
<font color="black">BB: $50</font>
<u>Hero (UTG): $50</u>
<font color="black">MP: $61.35</font>
<u>CO: $51.05</u>
<font color="black">BTN: $50</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, BTN calls $1, SB calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($6) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4</font>, MP folds, CO calls $4, BTN calls $4, SB calls $4, BB folds

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($22) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $16.50</font>, CO calls $16.50, 2 folds

<font color="black">River:</font> ($55) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets all-in for $29.55</font>, Hero ???

The villain who called the turn bet was 45/22/1 after about 35 hands and my read on him was that he was a bad lag. He played too many hands oop and went too far with a few mediocre hands. Given that read and the decent odds I'm getting should this be an easy call?

I checked the river because I felt his most likely hand was a flush draw he wasn't willing to give up and wanted to give him a chance to bluff at the pot.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM

You put yourself in a tough spot here (because you're OOP with an awkward hand, this is uNL, Skalansky's advice isn't as applicable down here). You showed weakness on the river and gave villain the go-ahead to shove the river with any two, so this is definately a factor. Since your villain's AF is 1, we need to consider that you have been getting called down by a better hand (AJ, 55, JJ), or that villain has a hand like A7 or AT. This is why we don't raise A5 suited or not from UTG.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think anyone posting in microstakes has the credentials to challange Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

A nice little fallacy you have to protect yourself, don't you think?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: I'd fold this hand from UTG and never minraise - that's part of the reason you're up against so many hands.

Pot the flop - it is a bit wet against many opponents.

As played, I agree $15-$18 bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

sexy
Old 04-12-2007, 02:23 AM

Obviously everyone commented on how bad that line is in terms of the minraise etc. but seeing as you checked to induce a possible bluff and the only amount he can bet to be significant is the last of his stack i think you have to call.

i think AK AQ raise flop to see where they are at, and probaly reraise PF. His line could definately be that of a set but i still think that raises at some point to protect against flush as well as this you've shown alot of strength betting twice so i set shove on the turn would be more likely.

If he played AJ that passively or picked up AT on the river then u gotta pay him off.

What did he have for the record?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:46 AM

the first thing I notice is you min raised ace 5 suited under the gun. I would have just elected to throw this hand away and wait until I'm in position to play such a tricky hand. The way I see it you flopped the only hand you could be looking to hit because one thing is for sure you aren't looking to flop an ace by itself because in that mob of players you have no idea where you stand.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 AM

The lesson to learn here is dont minraise weak holdings UTG and you'll avoid ridiculously thin marginal multi-way OOP decisions just like this one. But you knew that already.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The lesson to learn here is <u>don't</u> minraise weak holdings UTG and you'll avoid ridiculously thin marginal multi-way OOP decisions just like this one. But you knew that already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF: I'd fold this hand from UTG and never minraise - that's part of the reason you're up against so many hands.

Pot the flop - it is a bit wet against many opponents.

As played, I agree $15-$18 bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this the moment I saw your hand and I read nothing past this. I will now but I see I see no way that this is not the best answer.