Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Killer Poker by John Vorhaus

Vorhaus must have solicited her to vouch for the book. That book is toilet paper.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the Oprah theory; however she does not play poker, at least not that I'm aware of. Regarding being a fig thief, you think too much. If a player that I respect has it in her favorite list, I have to take note and wonder why.

[/ QUOTE ]

the word "sycophant" has had nothing to do with figs since we derived it from latin in the 1500s. and i happen to know that oprah is a consummate hustler in all venues. cards included.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 AM

Hi Folks,

I am a very good poker player at both high end sit n goes ($215+) and 30-60 limit games. I do not know John Vorhaus (never met him, e-mailed him or talked to him on the phone,
I promise) but I really like Killer Poker. Here is why. I am fairly good at the math and strategy part of poker. I have a solid math background and have used that to do some of my own analysis. I think about the game and discuss it in depth (lines to use, bluff, not to bluff, turn check raise on draw vs. tight opponents, loose opponents, how to protect your hand on the turn etc etc etc.) with many of my poker playing friends. So why do I like Killer Poker. Well, one of the problems I have is with discipline / tilt on occassion. This doesn't happen often, but when it does, I re-read the very good advice Vorhaus gives about how to combat those issues. I have distilled much of this down into some simple reminders that I have in a document on fundamentals. I look at it often. Further, he emphasizes taking notes. Like many of you, I use Pokertracker / PAHUD to categorize players online....but I also use notes. Some tendencies are not obvious from Pokertracker. I want some small reminder of how a tricky opponent played a hand in some cirumstance, so I use this. Also, I play some live poker and notes help with that. Vorhaus emphasizes it, and it is a good idea. Killer Poker is certainly not a poker strategy book, but I still find it to be valuable after many years.

Pitcher
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM

While JV's books may not be on the cutting edge of poker theory, he does advocate something that I have rarely seen in poker literature.

"Know Thyself"

The only books I know of that discuss this are Psychology of Poker Larry Phillip's "Zen Poker" books. None cover it in quite the same detail or place as much importance on the concept as the "Killer Poker" books.

Don't judge a book