Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: No Limit Bots ? Kwickfish says yes.

Bots are terrifically exploitable if you know they're a bot. I loved the limit bots at UB. NL bots are a dream come true. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bots are terrifically exploitable if you know they're a bot. I loved the limit bots at UB. NL bots are a dream come true. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you know there a bot and fugure them out. Without knowing it is a bot it is hard to figure out how they play. Im thinking limit only. Making a NL bot is about 1,000X harder. And also 1,000x harder to be not detected.

For example you could generate a random number for pauses and if you had a 50/50 situation a random number for call/fold. Also you could generate random numbers for bet sizes before the flop.

You can do a lot of things to very your play quite easily but it requires a lot more coding than limit. If paul waskia is right that this was a bot, and I suspect he wasn't than the person implementing it was probebley a script kiddie and stole a primitive bot and has no idea how it works.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM

You don't have to know that it is a bot to exploit its tendencies.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM

restrict is correct.

dire is quite wrong. there are plenty of bots on ub right now if you care to play them. they play 50/100 hu and win lots. im sure they are beatable but given their track record you must be very good. ive never bothered to make a concerted effort to beat them as i suck at hu and dont like swinging 10k every day.

i would imagine mcot is right about nl bots at higher stakes. however, and my nl experience and knowledge is quite limited, im very sure i could make a bot to beat low stakes nl. if it shortstacks that would proly be easier.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM

kurosh empty your PM box please and PM me when you've done so. Need to ask you something kinda important. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 PM

if you were to build a bot who can beat NL games, why would you put it up against the likes of Paul W. when the obvious +EV strategy would be against the regular Stars fish at lower limits?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 PM

I doubt there are bots that could win at 5/10 NL and up.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Phil Laak talks about it here: http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/2006_07_119.asp
I tried the program in question for limit HE, it's REALLY good adapting to you. Right now I'm trying to win playing he limit HU tournament since it seems to be the only thing i'm good at online. This morning I played a weird guy.

5/6 seconds between EVERY decision, doesn't talk at all make the same play everytime time (like if he was bluffing at a pot he would bet, I would call then he would check and I would bet and then he folded, everyime the same, I got away with a lot of stealing when noticing that, anyone would know that there noway I had something everythimes).
I won at the end but I had the hardest time, it went on for like more than half an hour whereas most of the time it ends in 10 minutes or less.

It was a 5$ HU limit. Then I did a research on his name and he had just started playing a 100$ HU nolimit HE tournament. The guy talked to him a couple of times, no answer. He won at the end. Very weird, is there a program that would come with the bot that would just join any HU game with someone on?

Why would anyone who has the bankroll to play HU for 100$ would play HU for 5$ ?? If it's the kind of bots that's adapting to you like the one in poker academy, It's going to be way hard for me to win anything HU. In fact the whole situation reminded me a lot of when I played the vexbot (that how it's called in the program).
Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM

What is this magical human ability that is outside the reach of a bot?
Other than interpreting chat to get a clue when an opp is on tilt, I can't think of a single bit of data any human is using for online poker that a bot could not duplicate.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this magical human ability that is outside the reach of a bot?
Other than interpreting chat to get a clue when an opp is on tilt, I can't think of a single bit of data any human is using for online poker that a bot could not duplicate.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are pieces of information that have much more significance than can be statistically assigned, like from seeing just one hand a regular opponent plays badly or unusually compared to normal you can learn something about them or what mood they are in, etc. Also things like unrealistic preflop aggression in specific types of situations, unrealistic frequency of flop calling on specific types of flops, adjusting to opponents' adjustments, etc.

Is a bot really going to be able to go "hmm my opponent played that hand unusually aggressively, I will expect more of the same from him this session"? And then a few minutes later when it becomes clear that opponent is now folding instead in marginal spots because he is aware of his image, that now we should start being *more* scared of that player's short term future aggression because they know we know they look like a maniac at the table? Also, timing tells, and so on...