Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: PCA big hand, day 2.

Just to clarify, it's not shaky hands like you're used to when people have very big hands. He was just jumping in and out of his seat through out the hand. It was def a "bad" shake, although I'm not sure I'm able to describe it correctly.

Either way, I suck at posting hands, I don't have any patiance. Thanks for the replies [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He bet 20k, randomally splitting his stack to about half. I asked how much he had behind, he looked somewhat troubled and said 25k. In my mind it was very close between leading, calling and shoving. I was confident he didn't have a hand.

I called. He jumped up and said "I have nothing".
I table my 55, with a sigh of relief.
He says "Oh, I got that beat" and shows 64.

My read was spot on, in his mind he was bluffing all the way. I just choose the wrong action on every single street. Any lead, raise or even a river push would have gotten him off his hand.

Yay at reads. Boo at poker.

I was sick at myself for this hand, even though I had almost an average stack left and never quite recovered mentally (well, it was my 3rd live mtt, so I guess I'll learn from it).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise pf the first time. its just such an obviously profitable play, because its such an easy hand to play. you raise and CB and often take down the pot. when you get played back at, you almost always fold if you dont hit a set, and you win a huge pot when you get played back at and do hit a set.

if you limp it should always be with intentions of calling a raise, so that part is easy. i'd just check/fold the flop because your preflop call gets a lot worse if you start floating on boards like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]

I fold PF 0% of the time, but when they start shaking they have a monster so I just fold the flop.

edit: although for some reason my hands get really cold, so I shake like 100% of the time...not sure if this is good or bad for my live game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise pf the first time. its just such an obviously profitable play, because its such an easy hand to play. you raise and CB and often take down the pot. when you get played back at, you almost always fold if you dont hit a set, and you win a huge pot when you get played back at and do hit a set.

if you limp it should always be with intentions of calling a raise, so that part is easy. i'd just check/fold the flop because your preflop call gets a lot worse if you start floating on boards like this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with anything you said.

Raising 55 from early position is not always best. You often get reraised or don't know where you are at OOP. I am not saying limping is better, but I would sometimes limp a small pair in early position.

In this case, I would limp/call, but in some situations it is a fold, and you can sometimes limpreraise.

I don't think this flop is an automatic check/fold. You don't know whether you are ahead or not, which is the same problem you have if you raise. However, there are various ways to play it, and folding is not always best. This is a relatively dry flop, so I would be inclined to make a play on the flop or turn or just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

so in this post you basically said "you can do anything, and its probably ok"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's right, basically you can do anything w/ small pairs in EP and it's probably okay if you have a big stack like OP does.

It's all very close and doesn't matter much either way between limping and raising. It's mostly a comfort thing, meaning, do what is within your comfort zone.

However the limp/reraise is a somewhat crazy play that I'd only use sparingly. I've never had success w/ a limp reraise bluff, but it is fun to try.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 PM

That is the problem with calling down all the way with small pairs. Therefore, I kind of like a checkraise on the flop. If you checkraise, I would assume you are behind if called and would be bluffing if I put anything more in.

I don't think as played was terrible though. I stand by what I said that there are a lot of ways to play this postflop and atleast two good ways preflop.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM

you played it ok he was the donkey he should have checked the river 55 was about all he could beat. weve seen pros call down guys in spots like this. you made a read you called bc you were 50-50 on whether you were ahead and it didnt work out no biggie
Old 03-15-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bad in the sense of 3 barrelling. He came to the table with 130k, bluffed like 50k in a couple of pots, made a pathetic all in call on the river against gambler2k4 with middle pair and then won a flip with QQ vs AK (or the other way around) to double back up.

He was most def the weak spot at the table for me, way before the hand. That might have misled me into carrying on with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

not that it matters, but that hand definitly didn't involve me. it was some other kid on the opposite side of the table from me. but yes i suck at live, lol

and you ran like krap on that day if i remember right. didn't u bust out with AQ vs AJ or something?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:35 PM

Thats what you did with my chips bro?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Raise PF. You are not fooling anyone by limping a small pair at this level. Your range 22-88 most likely, your action: willing to fold ATF unless you hit a set. He's good to raise with any two.

The jack is a great flop for you. The jack hits alot of middle hands which some players like to limp. If villain has been active I'd c/r the flop. Your 55 has almost no equity in the pot because villain has increased FE because of position and the stack sizes, your hand has very little showdown value.

In general you put 40XBB in the pot without ever knowing where you where at. This is fine if you have a hand that has substantial showdown value, but with a weak hand you can't call all the way down and hope villain has zippo.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He bet 20k, randomally splitting his stack to about half. I asked how much he had behind, he looked somewhat troubled and said 25k. In my mind it was very close between leading, calling and shoving. I was confident he didn't have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

so why didn't you shove?

i'm so confused [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]