Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: 49ers FA pickups and draft analysis

[ QUOTE ]
Big Niners fan here, I'll share my take on the offseason.
I'm very happy with the Clements deal...he will team up with Harris to give us very good coverage. I like the Michael Lewis deal as well...he does have coverage issues, but if we use him properly I think he will have an awesome year for us. Lelie is pretty much useless...I really hope we go after Horn or Stallworth. If not, we need to go WR in the draft, and I really don't want a rookie WR getting much playing time. I also expect us to make a push for Briggs. We have enough early picks to make this trade happen, and that would fill a big hole at LB.
As for the draft, I hope and pray that Branch or Landry will fall to us...since that probably won't happen, I'm hoping for Carriker. He should be the best 3-4 DE avaiable at our pick, and we have got to start getting some sacks.
I think we have a chance at the division this year. The 'Hawks still make me nervous, but we could dethrone them if everything goes according to plan. GO NINERS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Briggs doesn't want to play in a 3-4, besides the Bears probably aren't going to think about shopping him anyways.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, we have Banta-Cain. don't know much about him except that he played in the 3-4 with the Pats, so he can't be too bad!

I hope we don't go after Horn (and I don't think we will ... he's too old!) Hopefully we will draft Paul Williams (big physical WR we need) or Jason Hill.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, we have Banta-Cain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
49ers | Team signs Banta-Cain
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:41:36 -0800

ESPNews reports the San Francisco 49ers have signed free-agent LB Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

ESPNews reports the San Francisco 49ers have signed free-agent LB Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even know he was available until I saw the blurb on Yahoo that the Steelers were interested.

The 9ers sure seem to be busy. They're gonna blow that whole cap surplus overpaying veterans.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even know he was available until I saw the blurb on Yahoo that the Steelers were interested.

The 9ers sure seem to be busy. They're gonna blow that whole cap surplus overpaying veterans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 49ers have been signing players who are entering their prime.

Clements: 27 yo
Michael Lewis: 27
Franklin: 26
Lelie: 27
Banta-Cain: 27

I think we still have a good amount of cap space.
http://sf49erscap.tripod.com/salarycap.html
Old 03-06-2007, 04:33 PM

What else are you supposed to spend money on? It's not like we have any young guys other than Gore that aren't really tied down for the long run.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 PM

banta cain could be a good pickup. at the very least, he showed that he was a very good situational pass rusher and special teams player. he has trouble against the run and in pass coverage. i think the second problem could be solved though b/c he never really got the reps in new england to be comfortable in coverage, especially as a former end in college. i think he will always be a bit of a run liability b/c he just isn't big or strong enough to set the edge very well in a 3-4 scheme, but if the 49ers use him on the weak side or mostly on passing downs then i think he could be valuable. also, everybody in new england has always said that he had a really good work ethic.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Does anyone know what this signing does to the depth chart at linebacker? It seems to me we have 3 good outside linebackers now (Lawson Moore Banta-CaiN), and one good inside (Ulbrich). I want Derek Smith out personally, but I don't know if this signing does that. Anyone know?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what this signing does to the depth chart at linebacker? It seems to me we have 3 good outside linebackers now (Lawson Moore Banta-CaiN), and one good inside (Ulbrich). I want Derek Smith out personally, but I don't know if this signing does that. Anyone know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, Derek Smith is OK as a backup. He had eye surgery off-season so hopefully he recovers from it nicely. If we draft Patrick Willis he'll step in to start as ILB. In my opinion D. Smith = Ulbrich. Our starting LB corp would ideally be:

Starting: Lawson - Moore - Willis - Banta-Cain
Backup: Ulbrich, D. Smith, R. Green