Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: **The Aristocrats - Move Review**

Anything this controversiallly loved/hated/mehed needs to be seen, I think.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:05 PM

It was horrible.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:17 AM

* BUMP *

Ahem.

When I was 11, we got cable. Late 1988. The Comedy Channel. There was a time in my listless, nerdy 11-13 years, before high school, when the only time I was consistently out of the house was the summer. I spent a lot of late afternoons sucking up the endlessly replayed routines of a bunch of people riding the 80s comedy boom. There were a lot of terrible comedians, and a handful of good or clever ones. They played the handful more often, but they had a lot of time to fill.

And then I hit high school and made some more friends and got out of the house on weekday afternoons and to keep up with conversation I got into sports and ESPN took over. WHATEVER.

I had a real respect for the people who were doing it, getting on stage and living on the road, and flopping and occasionally appearing on a sitcom and whatever. And writing jokes. Writing funny stuff that was somehow a story you could tell to a crowd.

And if you see someone performing enough, even if they're always playing a role or different roles, you get to know them. They're like that pretty wife that you don't want to hit on, but you're always happy to hear about. Like Jamie when Scott's in the room.

Comedians as a whole are probably no better or worse than any other bunch of people, but this movie takes a bunch of smart people who are obviously deeply devoted to comedy, even if their careers have tanked or floundered, and has them talk about the quintessential inside joke.

It's a joke for people who care about why funny things are funny. To be clear, not everyone who cares is funny, and not everyone who's funny cares. But there's a devoted subset, and when you get them talking about their favorite subject, it's just awesome.

Some of them suck. I would pay money not to hear Jackie "the Joke Man" Martin ever again, but they all did the heavy lifting. They've been working for years. They've all been in the business, been up and down. And they're just happy to be asked about what makes them laugh, and what they think they can say to make us laugh.

It's Waking Life for funny, non-emo people. And you can just see people's minds work at it. Wouldn't you rather know about the secrets of laughter than the secrets of dreams?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:39 AM

i purchased the dvd to be able to study the concept of humor, and as that it was well worth the viewing.

there is a lot to be learned about yourself and what you find funny, if introspection is your thing.

the alternate punchline i likes was "the sophisticates" and no one mentioned that one. i think it is easier for people to "get" than the actual one.

there really were about three people who had some original insight into the telling of the joke, but it has been a while since i watched it. for some the focus was on gross, for some the focus was on clever and for some the focus was on long. for me, clever was the most entertaining, but i can imagine that for a professional entertainer, who has heard all the jokes anyway...the length without repeating could be a professional yardstick of some sort.

the gross aspect lost its appeal quickly when the punchline was already told.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 AM

Maybe I'm desensitized but I didn't find any of the "shocking" stuff all that shocking. When you can turn on the computer and see girls taking dumps in other girls mouths and letting eels crawl up their ass...seeing a comic talk about it seems tame. I'm sure back in the '70s it was shocking.

It was an interesting idea I guess, to see some behind-the-scenes look into the comic culture but at the halfway point I found myself bored.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:26 AM

After seeing a video of a woman furiously pumping a dildo out of a man's peehole, everything is tame.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:41 AM

after watching the movie I still think Cartman's version is by far the best
Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 AM

I thought this movie was good, except for Penn Gillette performing linguistic fellatio on every single comedian they taped. He literally said every single person was best, and took 30 minutes to do it.

Taylor Negron's "I am an Aristocrat" is by far the best part of the entire picture. I can watch that over and over because it isn't about being overly shocking, it's just a great creative piece of commentary.

Cam
Old 06-02-2006, 09:25 AM

This movie is very funny. Definitetly watch it.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 AM

It sucked.