Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 04:42 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand, $5 HU SNG

[ QUOTE ]
Do you fold if the flop comes queen high?

I push this all day. He's committed a ton of his chips already. FWIW, i would call in the BB with this hand if SB open pushed first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if it were a $50 HU match? This exact scenario happened to me recently. Blinds 10/20, 1000 chip stacks, I'm BB first hand with AdQd, SB open pushes first hand. What do you do?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call here. Why would you want to gamble when you don't know your opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's good reasoning for not playing online HU at all then. You usually have never played against your opponent before.

[ QUOTE ]
Who is better player? You or he? I suppose you, otherwise you would not post here. So you have to call to see the flop and you still have chips to outplay him (dont know the structure of Full tilt, but on stars I get 1500 chips)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's flawed logic. If you are in the same situation, but with AA, do you "call to see the flop and you still have chips to outplay him," or do you just outplay him right then and there?

Your logic seems to imply that the better player should turn into a calling station.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:58 PM

AA cannot be compared to AQ. Never. And everytime you call instead of pushing all in, you are a calling station, I suppose.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA cannot be compared to AQ. Never. And everytime you call instead of pushing all in, you are a calling station, I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA can be compared to AQ, at any time. For example, comparing the profitability of AA vs AQ, we all know that AA>AQ. Another example: Comaparing the truth assignment "Is this hand a pair?" to AA vs AQ, AA IS a pair (so T), and AQ IS NOT a pair (so F).

What I was trying to say in my previous response to your post is that even if you're the better player, pushing still may be the best play. I then gave an example, that is, the exact same situation with AA instead of AQ. Clearly pushing is better than calling when you have AA, even though you're the better player.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 AM

But if you are a better player, you try to get your money in the middle good. With AA, you are sure, that you have money in good. With AQ, you are NEVER sure of that, especially if you don't know the guy.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you are a better player, you try to get your money in the middle good. With AA, you are sure, that you have money in good. With AQ, you are NEVER sure of that, especially if you don't know the guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you need to be ahead to go all in with AQ?

Are you saying you won't push preflop here unless you're 100% sure that you're dominating him? What if you "only" have KK?

What if you had x-ray vision (for this one hand) and saw that he had 88, and knew he would call if you pushed?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker isn't about being "sure." Being sure is what makes a weak/tight player so weak/tight. You have to put your opponent on a range and then compare your hand to his range, in this case our hand compares favorably. If we are putting him on a correct range and this happens 100s of times we will win at least 60% of these, probably more. Therefore, this is a good move.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:23 PM

You don't know what his range is if you never played with him before. Maybe he is weak tight. You don't know. And believe me, I am everything but weak tight and I am not advising weak tight play. Just not reckless. It seems reckless if you go all in on AQ and when the guy raised you and you don't know his style of play.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 PM

You develop a range based one what all the 5 dollar level guys will go in with on the first hand. If you are ahead of that range to a level that you are happy with getting it in on, you get it in against that range. Sometimes you lose, but you will win a lot more if you play against a fairly accurate range, and what most people are saying in here suggests that AQ is good enough to get it in here and win at least 60% of the time. You can't always get a good read on somebody before shoving your chips in, and if you have a favorable situation you have to take it.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You develop a range based one what all the 5 dollar level guys will go in with on the first hand. If you are ahead of that range to a level that you are happy with getting it in on, you get it in against that range. Sometimes you lose, but you will win a lot more if you play against a fairly accurate range, and what most people are saying in here suggests that AQ is good enough to get it in here and win at least 60% of the time. You can't always get a good read on somebody before shoving your chips in, and if you have a favorable situation you have to take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention finishing a match this quickly will increase your hourly rate.