Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Boston - a - ments

[ QUOTE ]
The weather and chicks are so much better in San Diego. Also, you're stuck with Foxwoods if you want to play live legally. I have no idea why you'd want to live in Boston instead of San Diego. It's not even that much less crowded or cheaper than San Diego.

The only benefit I'd see to living in Boston is if there were some kind of career opportunity for you there, which does not apply in your case.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a saying in San Diego, "9 out of 10 girls here in San Diego are hot. The 10th one goes to UCSD."

It's not that bad, but from what I hear the Boston area selection is much better.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM

San Diego has hot chicks and warm sunshine. Boston has slutty chicks that may or may not be hot and crazy weather swings. Take your pick.

Please don't bitch about the snow though - it's your choice to live here.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:17 PM

I moved to Boston after college. It's an awesome city, especially if you are single. It's major drawbacks don't affect you, the commute, the lack of sunshine for working folk, and the fact that it's a bit of a small town so after awhile you can't go anywhere without running into someone you know (both good and bad).

You have to decide which side of the Charles you want to live on. The Cambridge side is probably cheaper but the Boston side has Boston. There are other tradeoffs.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM

At this point in time I dont think it makes a lot of sense to move to Boston to become a poker pro. Things are still very up in the air with online poker right now and Foxwoods is kind of a hike, so it just wouldnt make much sense to me to do this now.

Not saying anything bad about Boston, but your timing and needs just dont seem to be right.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point in time I dont think it makes a lot of sense to move to Boston to become a poker pro. Things are still very up in the air with online poker right now and Foxwoods is kind of a hike, so it just wouldnt make much sense to me to do this now.

Not saying anything bad about Boston, but your timing and needs just dont seem to be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the timing isn't great, but I'm tired of my school at the moment, and I have plans to travel for 3 months.

If I decide to go back to school I'll probably transfer somewhere, and Boston has quite a few schools.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2)I'm from Boston and live in a really nice place with hardwood floors

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please tell me the appeal of hardwood floors? Every New England apartment ad seems to boast about them. What's the deal? Why would anyone prefer hardwood to carpet?

Does it have anything to do with your shoes always being wet?

Do carpets+heater always running=static shocks?

I'm serious, I don't get it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone prefer hardwood to carpet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweeping is easier than vaccuuming.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can someone please tell me the appeal of hardwood floors? Every New England apartment ad seems to boast about them. What's the deal? Why would anyone prefer hardwood to carpet?

Does it have anything to do with your shoes always being wet?

Do carpets+heater always running=static shocks?

I'm serious, I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aesthetics. They look a lot nicer.

Easier to clean (unless you are diligent, carpets smell after a while). Carpets basically need to be cleaned all the time.

From a selling standpoint, hardwood brings the property value up and is a good selling feature.

Also with Hardwoods you have the option of using nice area rugs to cover certain places that you might want a softer padding.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:44 AM

I love Boston, and Cambridge even more.
I live in NH now, about 45 min. from Boston, I am putting some serious thought into moving to Cambridge if I can get a job nearby.

There are places you can find cheapish rent... My friend (yeah...the same one) lives about 1/3 mile off of Harvard Square, and her rent is like 1400/mo, split with another person for an avg sized 2 br (not sure if they get raped on utilities)
It would take a decent amount of looking to find a good deal though, and if you're in CA right now I guess you are probably moving in blind.

Though from what I've heard about SD I'm surprised anyone would want to move away.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 AM

I think anyone who quits anything to start playing poker professionally now is an idiot. If you were already doing it, fine. But anyone who quits school or a job and moves across the country for something that could possibly be illegal in a year. Even a 1% chance of online poker going bust in the next year would dissuade me from making this huge of a life decision.