Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: People Who Don\'t Use AIM

I used aim for a few years. But, Between my cell and text messages and email i keep in touch easily with all the people i really want to. And i actually prefer catching up or hearing stories from friends in person.

I remember when i decided i should take some time off using aim... i was talking to a bunch of old friends/acquaintance's from high school and such, and they were all asking me the same king of stuff; how i've been, what i've been up to, and i was just copying and pasting paragraphs to a bunch of these people... then i thought i don't really care what these people are up to, if i did i would call them and still actually make an effort to hang out with them on occasion.

Then i got into a relationship and my gf said i should get back on aim so we could chat here and there when we weren't together... that kept me from giving it another shot for years, and now i don't miss it.

It's kinda like cell phones, i like my cell phone a lot, but last year when my previous one broke and i was without one for like a week, it was pretty cool. When i went out with my friends, i didn't have my gf texting or calling me as to what i was up to and where i was and if i was coming over later... i felt like a free man, if only for a week. When i was with my gf i didn't have friends calling me giving me crap to come out tonight ect... It was actually kinda nice, when i wanted to call someone i used a friends cell or my gf cell. But of course that can't last for very long.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:56 AM

I am american and hate AIM. So I only use MSN messenger, and I only know a couple people on there.

I have no desire to use AIM. But if I meet someone that wants to chat/IM, I will suggest they download MSN. If they decline, I will continue talking to them via PM/email/whatever.

MSN just looks way better to me and has a much better interface. But, I have not looked at AIM in about 4 years, so things may have changed. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2007, 04:20 AM

I have MSN and Yahoo but not AIM. I have never used AIM, and none of my friends has it. I currently live in the US.

I actually use Trillian for Yahoo and MSN.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:22 AM

all aim is good for these days is checking everyones profile every 2 seconds. i literally leave my away message up now 98% of the time since you can have your away msg up and still talk to people. [censored] , they even have the "invisible" feature so you can be online and no one else can see you.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:24 AM

I'm 38 and I don't. I haven't found the need for it. I think my cell phone can accomodate it but I really try to limit the cell use for emergencies. Anybody who really needs to find me can call me at home on my land line or email me or call my cell.

I'm not against it, just haven't found the need for it.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It always surprises me when someone tells me they don't use AIM...but I think there are a significant number of people out there who don't use it. And I'm not just talking about old people - although it is mainly them - but younger people too... You people who don't use AIM could you please explain? TY

[/ QUOTE ]I prefer talking on the phone.Thats pretty much it. Why do you prefer AIM over the phone?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 AM

I like it because its more casual, you can goof around or just talk about irrelevant stuff that isnt telephone worthy. Plus you can take breaks from the conversation whenever and just resume it later, and have extra time to think of witty things to say, this is good for talking to girls.

Allthough I took like to speak on the phone with my friends, but I tend to chat with the people im not that friendly with.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 AM

We use AIM and Google Talk at work. I routinely IM my partners despite the fact that they are less than 10 feet from me.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:53 AM

I use trillian. I use the invisible feature most all of the time. The very select few people I have a desire to talk to know they can message me when I am not showing up and still get the message through.

But other than that, having one more device idiots can constantly contact you on is annoying.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:25 AM

Msn is the default in the UK. I think we all associate anything to do with AOL as crap as well.