Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Engagement Ring Ideas

www.bluenile.com
www.pricescope.com
www.goodoldgold.com

Pricescope has all the information about diamonds you need. The other two are places you can buy from.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:42 AM

What is this appraisal thing that people are talking about? I find it hard to believe that an engagement ring would appraise for higher than a diamond retailer would sell it for- I am incredulous that you could walk into a diamond store and they would tell you "Well, actually sir, the raw value of the gold and diamonds are worth more to us than you paid for the ring."
Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Amazing find, FFK! I am reading the thing and considering investing in maybe earrings or something first to see my satisfaction level...that link is just amazing!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:37 AM

Costco

or try

Rio Grande they are the suppliers to jewlers. If you can find someone with an account then you can design your own ring and then take the pieces to a jewler and it will be very cheap.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What is this appraisal thing that people are talking about? I find it hard to believe that an engagement ring would appraise for higher than a diamond retailer would sell it for- I am incredulous that you could walk into a diamond store and they would tell you "Well, actually sir, the raw value of the gold and diamonds are worth more to us than you paid for the ring."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. An appraisal tells you the item's value. If the item is worth double what you paid for it, why did it only sell for half?

I'm of the mindset that you just buy something of decent quality that looks good. The monetary value of the ring should come secondary to its appearance.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You may want to consider Moissanite for many reasons. Lots of stuff on the web. Basically it looks better than a diamond, is more durable in some ways, and a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the "fire" test, where one looks like a diamond and the other looks like a [censored] prism.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. An appraisal tells you the item's value. If the item is worth double what you paid for it, why did it only sell for half?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? Atlantic Monthly Article

I dunno guys...if it's big and sparkly, I'd be pretty satisfied. Knowing about things like this Wired Magazine Article is not very encouraging when you're thinking about spending loads on a diamond. I, personally, would rather get a 10k Moissanite or 10k "cultured" diamond then one dug out of the dirty old ground anyways.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Amazing find, FFK! I am reading the thing and considering investing in maybe earrings or something first to see my satisfaction level...that link is just amazing!

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE TELL ALL THE WOMEN IN THE WORLD THIS
Old 02-15-2007, 04:54 AM

Yeah, it means diddly to any guys, I mean a nice looking ring of whatever material should be fine, but the diamond industry has done a fantastic job selling this total crap to women. What's the guidleine, 3 months salary? Hell, even someone making not that much money a year, that's a downpayment on a car or something that you can use instead of a token of love. That's all it is, a token, but somehow it's been distorted into this thing where it needs to be a very EXPENSIVE token- I would even say the diamond ring tradition is the opposite of what a token of love should be....

I was talking to one of my sciencey buddies and we were talking about synthesizing gem quality diamonds in a lab, just as an idea, it should be perfectly possible to do, and the girls we asked about this said it would be fine as long as the girl didn't know.... and I think they're right. It's so asinine that even the same chemical stucture probably wouldn't suffice if they knew it wasn't special or natural.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM

www.whiteflash.com

Good site, lots of info, and they sell their own specialty cut of diamond (A Cut Above, compare to hearts on fire) that many think definitely outshines regular diamonds. They sell regular diamonds very cheaply there as well, all fully documented. I bought a $10k engagement ring there in December 2006, good experience - very nice diamond. The transcation was pretty smooth and their customer service and shipping was excellent.

www.superbcert.com is another similar place that's got a cheesier website and slightly higher prices, but they also have a good reputation for spectacular diamonds.

edit: LEARN about diamonds before you buy. Especially if you buy something in a brick & mortar store. I visisted several with fiancee when we were looking at rings, many are very far from informed or honest (even at some very nice jewelers).