Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Aggressive driving tips

On the highway, when it is crowded and there seems to be no way through, remember the old speedway saying : "Only the best go four abreast"
Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

15,000 miles since Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...and I thought you were always online playing. What forces you to drive so damn much?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:01 AM

Main street tactics, some obvious ones.

When approaching a red light, always get into the lane with the fewest cars.

If a light ahead of you turns red on a 2-lane street and there are 2 cars ahead of you (both in the same lane) and one of them changes lanes to the empty lane. Get behind him. Although you don't know anything about the other driver, you at least know that this guy is conscious about saving time driving and is likely to go fast enough for you to pass the other car and get to the front.

In Toronto, on streets like Danforth, there are a lot of traffic lights. There are 2 lanes, but the right lane is often exclusively for parking, however, at red lights, you can typically find your way into it and pass several cars. When the light turns green, you'll either pass the car in the left lane, or if he's fast enough, you can easily get right behind him.

If you're the first car at a red light, don't drive all the way up to the intersection. Leave a little room so you can start rolling for extra speed when it turns green... essenatial for passing situations like the one I mentioned previously.

Also, similar to the highway advice, if you're approaching a crowded intersection and the there's a 'right lane must exit' lane, get into it and use the rolling technique to pass the guy in the right lane right away.

Always look far ahead. I've been in the left lane of a two lane street and noticed a car 10 cars ahead of me signaling when there's no turn lane. I get over to the right lane and pass him and the nine cars that were in front of me because they were too oblivious or didn't think fast or pay attention.

Don't stop at stop signs. You can almost always see that it's clear only barely slowing down, especially when turning right.

Expert move: Timed perfectly, you can turn left when the light turns green before the opposing traffic gets a chance to start moving. Usually only possible on specific intersections, or with a rolling start.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:06 AM

i'll add a move that i like. if you're stopped at a red light in the right-hand lane on a 2-lane street with another car alongside you and you see that the lane will be narrowing to 1-lane after the intersection, don't pull all the way up alongside the other guy. you're going to have to beat him off the line to get ahead of him before the road narrows and you don't want to tip him off too early. sandbag a bit and hang back; make him think that he's in control and then take him.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

15,000 miles since Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...and I thought you were always online playing. What forces you to drive so damn much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played online since October. And even before then it was only a few thousand hands/month at the most. I drive a lot between my old home in southeast Alabama, my soon to be new home in Tennessee, Atlanta where I liked to hang out on the weekends because there's nothing in Alabama, Maryland where I grew up and have friends/family, Tunica for poker when I'm in the SE, and AC for poker when I'm in MD. I never fly because I hate not having a car, and I don't mind driving.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 AM

I take issue with OP's assertion that in heavy traffic, the middle lane is best. I spent insane amount commuting in DC and my observations was that most times, the right lane is best. The logic behind this is that during low volume traffic, the lane's occupants willing to go fast is primary. During high volume, density controls -- and since almost everyone is like "ugh, f'in right lane. I'm going to get left NOW", this usually leaves the right lane open. The exception is during heavy merges, at which point get middle and be an [censored] not allowing the inchers to but into your territory. Also, middle lane has two exits, but also two extrances; this means too many people are going to merge into your lane and cause it to slow down.

Other tips for solid aggressive driving; if you see someone coming up fast in your rearview, let him pass then proceed to speed up and tail him. Imagine a cop on the median and angle yourself in such a way that the cop could not get a radar on you without hitting the fast car first.

I completely agree that right lane driving is where it's at. Only thing to be wary of is getting boxed in on the left and right -- see those boxes before the come and go left to avoid.

I don't agree with passing in the on-ramps; that's too risky. I'm not attempting to get myself killed here, just trying to get to my destination as quick as possible, as safely as possible.

I have more theories on driving efficiently than anyone I know ... it's kind of sad.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Own the middle lane: During periods of medium density traffic, the middle lane is often best. This allows you two options for passing, right or left, whereas in the extreme lanes you can only pass on one side.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, I do this. Everything else you mention is dick though.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:38 AM

The Head Fake

Say you want to change lanes left, but there's an ass who intentionally closes the gap just when you think you can make it. Look over your right shoulder a couple times while monitoring your left mirror. He'll get complacent, and that's when you make your move.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I take issue with OP's assertion that in heavy traffic, the middle lane is best. I spent insane amount commuting in DC and my observations was that most times, the right lane is best. The logic behind this is that during low volume traffic, the lane's occupants willing to go fast is primary. During high volume, density controls -- and since almost everyone is like "ugh, f'in right lane. I'm going to get left NOW", this usually leaves the right lane open. The exception is during heavy merges, at which point get middle and be an [censored] not allowing the inchers to but into your territory. Also, middle lane has two exits, but also two extrances; this means too many people are going to merge into your lane and cause it to slow down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, middle lane is good for medium density traffic, not so heavy where youre routinely forced to slow down, but not so light that you can cruise in a single lane and never run into anyone. For heavy traffic you better know the patterns specific to that area. Usually when a highway fills up there are certain lanes over certain stretches that will almost always be fastest for whatever reason.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with passing in the on-ramps; that's too risky. I'm not attempting to get myself killed here, just trying to get to my destination as quick as possible, as safely as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

This shouldn't be necessary in the DC area. I do it on 2 lane highways and only when the guy in the left lane is passing so poorly that occasionally the guy in the right lane makes up ground on him. Sometimes this goes back and forth a really long time.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:44 AM

D10 - good thread topic. We share a good number of ideas on how one should approach driving (esp w/ regards to fellow cars on the road). Safety does not seem to be one of them. Living w/ my gf, I watch a little too much discovery health shows to pass on the shoulder or f with 18whlrs.

What about a thread on safest ways to feck with ppl on the road...<Bob>Is that something you might be interested in?</Bob>