Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Pro Poker Money. Where does it come from?

Should I start to sell drugs to fund my bankroll then?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In reality, there's three sources. The first is weathy amatures that want to challange the big games. Andy Beale and smaller clones that are content to merely play the big games. The second is tournament winnings - many of the big pros are winners at tournament but losers at cash games. Third, there's a "pyramid" of poker of sorts. Every time someone trys to move up in stakes, and fails, they deposit money won at the lower limits up at the higher limits. This effect moves money to the proportionally unraked top of the pyramid, and leaves it there. There is no analogous effect moving it back down the pyramid, so it stays at the top, and gets passed around or taken out a circulation when a big pro gets the investing bug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically what i was going to say.

The pyramid of money is the most important factor (in my opinion) and soemthing that i hope someone studies in more detail.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some big money players are horses for wealthy people who can't play themselves but want in on the action so they buy a player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any evidence to support this? Sure, players get staked by people, but I find it hard to believe that someone could "own" a pro.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some big money players are horses for wealthy people who can't play themselves but want in on the action so they buy a player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have any evidence to support this? Sure, players get staked by people, but I find it hard to believe that someone could "own" a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

TJ played Lyle Bremmer's(sp?) money for a long time. Maybe he still does. Of course, Lyle can play himself, but there are definitely pros who prefer to play on other people's money.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Of course people do not own a pro in a literal sense. Players are owned as 'horses' not Horses as animals, it's slang, sorry for the confusion. I know one player locally who only plays on opm so he is considered a horse.

Read rgp and you will learn a lot of things not mentioned here. Perhaps if you read a poker rag you will read about some new on the scene pro who has just lost his third million dollar bankroll.