Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Ask Borodog

Boro,

What was your first sexual experience like?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:31 PM

Hey Borodog,

Which books would you suggest as an introduction to austrian economic theory? What about for further study? Any good websites?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a few questions:

-what math books or philosophy of math/science would you recommend to someone with little math background (know calc, taking more math, will just take time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps surprisingly, I cannot remember ever reading a book on the "philosophy of math or science" so I'm afraid I won't be much use there.

[ QUOTE ]
-because of my school's schedule I cannot take the physics for physics majors series until winter quarter (this one) of next year. I really like physics. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a shame. Are there physics classes for engineers you could take? That would be a poor man's substitute. That might do more harm than good, though. If I were to have been stuck in that situation, I would have probably spent the time in electives (which I took a massive amount of as an undergrad; I was something like 1 class away from minors in both English and anthropology). You can always find out what texts will be used in the major's classes and start working through them yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
-What are good math/physics-related summer job or internship opportunities for an 18 year old? Do they exist? I live close to Stanford linear accelerator center.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Something probably exists. The quickest way to find out would be just to head out to SLAC and ask. I'm sure they could always use some slave labor, and many physicists love to be given a young empty skull to fill. My summer job when I was 18 was making pizzas for Pizza Hut, though.

[ QUOTE ]
-What do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently lecturing in physics, algebra based undergraduate mechanics, doing pro bono research (i.e. I'm not being paid with taxpayer money to do my research, it's all in my free time), and training to be a professional lindy hop/swing dance instructor (I've taught free dance lessons for years, for example for both the UNC and NCSU Ballroom Dance Clubs). I also have my real estate license and every once in a while sell a house.

[ QUOTE ]
edit: what are some cool math/physics-related jobs that do not involve design weapons or teaching?

I'll think of more later.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are tons of jobs that involve physics and math that don't involve designing weapons or teaching. Lots of physicists end up in the financial industry, for example. Then there is the semiconductor industry, lots of research going on there. The aerospace industry has lots of non-military stuff that goes on, The oil and gas industry does a tremendous amount of research. And if you go into academia, the emphasis is often on research more than teaching (whether you think that's good or bad), so you could get away with teaching maybe 1 class per semester.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

[/ QUOTE ]

Embarrassingly brief, and performed to the strains of Sammy Hagar's album Standing Hampton.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Borodog,

Which books would you suggest as an introduction to austrian economic theory? What about for further study? Any good websites?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything you'll ever need is located at the Ludwig von Mises Institute, including introductions to the theory, the founding texts, as well as many, many audio lectures. The 2005 "Mises University" lecture series is a great place to start. To understand where Austrians are coming from as opposed to other modern schools, try something like "Praxeology: The Austrian Method" and "Austrian versus Neoclassical Analytics." Then for the foundation of the economic theory, "Value, Utility, and Price," "Theory of Profit, Loss, and Entrepreneurship", and "Capital and Interest."
Old 01-18-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

[/ QUOTE ]

Embarrassingly brief, and performed to the strains of Sammy Hagar's album Standing Hampton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't Get Loose?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't Get Loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no possible way I made it to Track 4.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's opne for the obscurists. Hampton is cockney rhyming slang for that male thing that rhymes with Hampton Wick (a town in England). Standing Hampton is so appropriate for your circumstances, no?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Boro,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's opne for the obscurists. Hampton is cockney rhyming slang for that male thing that rhymes with Hampton Wick (a town in England). Standing Hampton is so appropriate for your circumstances, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

And here I just thought it was a damn good album.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That is a shame. Are there physics classes for engineers you could take? That would be a poor man's substitute. That might do more harm than good, though. If I were to have been stuck in that situation, I would have probably spent the time in electives (which I took a massive amount of as an undergrad; I was something like 1 class away from minors in both English and anthropology). You can always find out what texts will be used in the major's classes and start working through them yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are physics courses for math/engineering but I have a feeling they aren't all that good. I don't really know what I was asking, just ways to exercise my brain related to math/physics not dependent on the university. I may check out the textbooks from my friends, but there's no way i'm going to buy them considering that they very well may change next year. In short, I plan to just wait for next year's physics for physics majors courses and want ways to feel involved in the meantime.

Thanks for your other responses by the way.