Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Starcraft 2 in the works?

Yes real RTS. Not gay RTS like WC3. I couldn't stand WC3 when I fell in love with SC. I don't like MicroManaging the heros ala an RPG while I did love mass attacking with the Zerg. I'm a much bigger fan of WC2 in comparison to WC3 and I didn't understand the huge switch between the two games.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM

WC3 was really a crappy game in my opinion. Blizz was trying to create a new genre, an RTS/RPG hybrid but it just didn't work. Basically it ended up being a dumbed down, slower version of SC with fancier graphics and less units (plus it was also setting up the "story" for WoW).

SC is the gold standard for RTS's and WoW is for MMORPG's, WC3 came and went and nobody really cared.

I'm not against RPG's or RPG elements in a game mind you, I love RPGs (I just began playing WoW a few months ago) but not EVERY game should have them. And certainly not when they are to the detriment of the core elements.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well you could always camp his corpse if you're into that sort of thing. Also all of those trips of running back to your dead body can add up to quite a bit of time, which equals money in this subscription-based game.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just plain ganking/griefing. Where's the fun in that?

Also, it's not really costing him money. He's not going to pay more subscription fees because of someone ganking him repeatedly.

The fact that you equate repeatedly ganking resurrected players with "being at risk while playing" shows that you probably haven't ever played an MMORPG where youcan lose anything meaningful if killed ("meaningful" in-game, that is) - and that you can be harmed at any given moment.

There are also other ways of losing stuff, such as getting cleaned out by thieves, getting scammed, have your chars belongings looted after being lured into a dragons lair, etc.
There were several entertaining tactics that you could use in earlier MMORPGs.
Of course, some people only did that to grief others, but if it was pulled off with style (and there were plenty of people good at it) then it was even fun being the victim.
Also, there were enough guilds ganging up against the griefers. And then it was their turn to lose stuff.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well you could always camp his corpse if you're into that sort of thing. Also all of those trips of running back to your dead body can add up to quite a bit of time, which equals money in this subscription-based game.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just plain ganking/griefing. Where's the fun in that?

Also, it's not really costing him money. He's not going to pay more subscription fees because of someone ganking him repeatedly.

The fact that you equate repeatedly ganking resurrected players with "being at risk while playing" shows that you probably haven't ever played an MMORPG where youcan lose anything meaningful if killed ("meaningful" in-game, that is) - and that you can be harmed at any given moment.

There are also other ways of losing stuff, such as getting cleaned out by thieves, getting scammed, have your chars belongings looted after being lured into a dragons lair, etc.
There were several entertaining tactics that you could use in earlier MMORPGs.
Of course, some people only did that to grief others, but if it was pulled off with style (and there were plenty of people good at it) then it was even fun being the victim.
Also, there were enough guilds ganging up against the griefers. And then it was their turn to lose stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm getting ganked frequently and often, it's going to slow down my leveling and progression. If my leveling and progression is slowed down I'm going to have to subscribe for a longer period of time in order to achieve my end-game goals, or start all over on a PvE server.

Sure, the current WoW-style of PvP doesn't have any in-game losses or consequences as you define it. If that's not your cup of tea, no problem. However there's nothing to say that WoS couldn't have a much different world PvP model.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Just FYI, you guys are way off on Starcraft and Warcraft 3.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 PM

If so, how? What are you one of the few in the WC3 >> SC camp?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blizzard is a very arrogant, head up their asses company.

They make very high quality games that sell great, but take exactly 0 input from the public regarding anything. I'm sure this is often for the better, but sometimes for the worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are sooo wrong. IIRC blizzard was one of the first companies to start w/ open betas staring with Starcraft in 1997. they are everything but arrogant.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WC3 was really a crappy game in my opinion. Blizz was trying to create a new genre, an RTS/RPG hybrid but it just didn't work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually they just ripped off the Warlords Battlecry games.

Blizzard is a popularizer and (arguably) improver, not an innovator.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If so, how? What are you one of the few in the WC3 >> SC camp?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, SC was greater for its time then WC3 was, but I did have more fun playing WC3 online. The SC single player however held the upper hand was classic. A lot of the crappiness in SC multiplayer had to do with stuff like map hacks and an exodus of much of the player base to either retarded ally versus the computer games or even more retarded use of obnoxious maps that lead to Big Game Hunters. The UMS maps were a pretty sweet innovation though. Some of the stuff the user community put out, like The Antioch Chronicles were also amazing.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
take exactly 0 input from the public regarding anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is false. Whining has proven to be quite effective in getting changes in WoW.