Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: My First DIY...

Million - shoot me an email with the guy's name...I probably kicked is ass...jk

when will I know that my brakes need to be replaced? Sound/smell? I'm not totally confident in the electrical system of a car that is almost old enough to drive itself. But I gotta say, next car I'm looking for a 97 accord 2dr 5spd and will probably drop a little dough on it...performance headers, cold air intake, exhaust, strut bar. But it looks like that won't be for another year or so now that my car is running much better...and by that time who knows.

yo, the TS plate is so money. Occasionally someone makes a NASCAR comment to me at work...

example...
co-worker: "How about that race last week at Bristol?"
me: "WTF?" with a puzzled face
co-worker: "Well I saw your front plate and..." with a puzzled face

cause I don't follow NASCAR and don't know crap about it...

anywho, good luck with the headers...I had a heck of a time unscrewing my exhaust manifold heat shield...I was worried about torque'ing the bolts off (car is old) but that didn't end up being the problem. I got them off fine...but then I couldn't get the heat shield out of the bay. Too much crap in the way. WTF!!!... then I spent another 20 minutes just trying to get this one hard to reach screw back in after giving up (for now) to re-think my approach.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent another 20 minutes just trying to get this one hard to reach screw back in after giving up (for now) to re-think my approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

In situations like this I try to imagine a tool that would be perfect for getting the job done. Then I go buy that tool, because it always exists somewhere. Be careful with this though, it can be addictive. It will quickly lead to the opposite, seeing a tool at the store and imagining all the jobs you could do/make easier with it, and before you know it you've got thousands of dollars worth of tools that you rarely use.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM

Disc brake pads have metal tabs that squeak against the rotor when the pad is almost worn out. When they start to squeal, replace the pads, cuz if you wait they'll wear down to the metal and ruin your rotors. Your rear drums wear down a lot slower and generally need to be visually inspected to see if they are close to being worn. You may have disc brakes on the back too, not sure on a 91 model.

I imagined a NASCAR conversation like the one you described happening. That's hilarious.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I spent another 20 minutes just trying to get this one hard to reach screw back in after giving up (for now) to re-think my approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

In situations like this I try to imagine a tool that would be perfect for getting the job done. Then I go buy that tool, because it always exists somewhere. Be careful with this though, it can be addictive. It will quickly lead to the opposite, seeing a tool at the store and imagining all the jobs you could do/make easier with it, and before you know it you've got thousands of dollars worth of tools that you rarely use.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. I can totally justify spending money on tools...example being last night... FFK and I are building a table. the idiots at HomeDepot can't cut a square (44"x44") piece of plywood. I don't notice this until I get the trim and measure the table to make my cuts on the trim (for which I needed a miter saw $35). So now I have to square it up so I have to buy a square and a chalk line and a circular saw...($50 -- I went cheapo on the circular saw).

I come from family that didn't have a lot of tools around the house. 2 screw drivers a ballpin hammer, and maybe, just maybe, a pair of pliers if my dad hadn't already snatched em up and taken them to the restaurant. I really am not sure how we managed w/out tools.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:16 PM

Tomorrow 1pm'ish... DIY #2

1) Rocker-arm O-Rings replacement

2) valve adjustment

3) upper spark plug tube seals

4) valve cover paint job (blue)

5) valve cover gasket replacement
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 PM

tools needed that I don't already have...

torque wrench (lowest torque measurement is 7 ft-lbs) -- $35
jack and jack stands -- $40
19mm socket (for turning the engine over during valve adjustment) -- $8
feeler gauge (.012" and .01" for valve adjustment) -- $5

The only tool I am having a hard time justifying is the torque wrench as I won't have much use for it after this DIY. But I don't have friends with tools except for one who I think just went back up to Pitts. for xmas.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only tool I am having a hard time justifying is the torque wrench as I won't have much use for it after this DIY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you plan on never working on your car again this can't be true. I use a torque wrench on just about everything. I wouldn't go cheap here, I think you'll be using it a lot more often than you think, and there's a huge difference between a good and bad torque wrench. A bad one is literally worse than worthless.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 AM

well I picked up a craftsman 0-75 ft-lbs...I hope this is good.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:36 PM

Yeah Craftsman is always good, it's that crap that you get from places like Auto Zone that you don't want.