Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Comm 40: This one felt weird

[ QUOTE ]
I know that you guys are good players.But,with all due respect,I don't like betting the river.After you have played your hand this strongly on the turn,I believe that the only call that you are likely to get will be a "crying call" from a weak A.

[/ QUOTE ]

A jack probably won't fold here especially after he played the hand so strangely.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:33 PM

Default Re:Justin

You're right.I believe that a J will probably call,too.I started to mention this in my previous post.But if you check to him,he may bet the J also.So,it looks to me like the check doesn't lose much action from a J & could save you money when the first checker has an A.

Thanks for your response.I have just started posting in this section & have learned some good stuff from you guys.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:42 PM

Whoever has a jack played the hand kind of strangely himself, no?
Old 12-09-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A pair probably won't fold here especially after he played the hand so strangely.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Re:Justin

because of the way shawn played this hand, most hands are frozen (not wanting to bet). The upper end (aces) will bet if checked to, while just calling if we bet. The lower end (pairs less than ours) will call if we bet and check if we check. That is my experience, anyway. That is what makes this such a good situation for a river bet. Even if we're only ahead 40% of the time, it is still probably correct to bet (if you, like me, are not going to check/fold this hand) for the above reasons.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the great feedback, guys.

I bet the river and folded to a button raise, as I couldn't see him bluffing here and he's not raising a jack for value. Bad?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM

Well played, Shawn. Your turn play represented a lot of strength, and when you followed up with a river bet, there's no way he expects you to fold. He has an A here like 96% of the time.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whoever has a jack played the hand kind of strangely himself, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suspiciously, more than strangely I think.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that you guys are good players.But,with all due respect,I don't like betting the river.After you have played your hand this strongly on the turn,I believe that the only call that you are likely to get will be a "crying call" from a weak A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Therefore you advocate Shawn's line with garbage as a bluff?

I hate to be unoriginal; I've made several posts using almost exactly the same wording, but very often when people think that worse hands are never calling on the river they're thinking out of fear and forgetting what actually goes on at the table. People call. Let them.

Whoever (probably several) said that the only reason to check the river is to check-fold is spot-on. Betting seems much better.

Oh, and I love love love the turn. BTW, I recommend these sorts of lines in shorthanded games (also see some discussion on this in HPFAP) -- when you let it be known that you can check multiple times intending to raise with hands like these, you can really terrify some opponents. There's a winning regular who, when the game got shorthanded last week, took to open-limping in late position when I was in the blind and checking almost every street because he was so afraid of getting checkraised. Not everyone will react this badly but never doing stuff like this is missing out on a chance to make your opponents question so many more of their decisions.

Nice hand. And way to choose a good hand to post.

--Nate