Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Comm 40: This one felt weird (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278473)

ShawnHoo 12-08-2006 03:05 PM

Comm 40: This one felt weird

I feel like I misplayed this one on more than one street.

I'm up a little less than a rack so far and probably have a very solid image. Folded to me in the HJ with red QQ. I raise, solid player calls on the button. BB calls as well, he's decent but has taken a couple of beats in the last 30 min or so and appears to be tilting.

Flop: AdJdAs

BB checks, I check (I usually bet here, but I've checked a couple of times this session when I've raised big cards and missed), button checks.

Turn: 8h

Checked to button who bets, BB calls, I c/r, both call.

River: 6s

BB checks, I ?

poker1O1 12-08-2006 03:16 PM

Re: Comm 40: This one felt weird

flop: I like the check, if you bet and button raises, I feel we have to go to SD anyway, so throwing a feeler bet out there isn't going to accomplish much

turn: I think the liklihood that button bets this turn after checking through on the flop is very low. I like a turn bet here, but, if you do check, the c/r is correct

river: lead

VORP 12-08-2006 03:28 PM

I'd prefer to bet the flop, there are plenty of hands we don't want to give a free card to.

CardSharpCook 12-08-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm up a little less than a rack so far and probably have a very solid image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how new posters feel the need to add tidbits like this.

I'd certainly bet the turn after checking the flop. However, I don't really like checking the flop. A check on the flop says "AK/AJ/KK/QQ/JJ (possibly 22-TT, but less likely)". A bet on the flop says, "I open raise with XX-XX in the HJ." I'd much rather the button think, "well he could have K3s for all I know!!!" and start calling down with 44, then for him to get a free card to 2 outs and every excuse to fold when you bet the turn.

As played, I think you have to bet the river. You are going to call a river bet, but the way you played this, you're not getting raised by less than a boat. The only raise to check is if you think that check/fold is your best option (which it may be)

Sparks 12-08-2006 04:13 PM

I like your line on this hand. Getting raised on the flop would be very annoying. Unless there is some unusual slow-playing going on, your hand seems good. You're obviously worried about the Ace being out, but slow-playing on the button is kind of rare. So, when the tiltish BB checks the turn, it's hard to put him on an ace -- a jack or draw is likely, even an under pair. I'd lead the river for value, because a jack will probably call.

MitchL 12-08-2006 04:39 PM

More annoying than getting 3 bet on turn? I like a flop bet for 2 reasons. 1. People like to call the flop regardless of what they have 2. It makes the big streets much easier to play.

Sparks 12-08-2006 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a flop bet for 2 reasons. 1. People like to call the flop regardless of what they have

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't really agree with you here.

[ QUOTE ]

2. It makes the big streets much easier to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't agree here either. When you get two smooth calls on the flop, you have no idea where you're at.

I like his line. I might just call turn, but the c/r is a pretty nice bet.

MitchL 12-08-2006 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like a flop bet for 2 reasons. 1. People like to call the flop regardless of what they have

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't really agree with you here.

[ QUOTE ]

I like his line. I might just call turn, but the c/r is a pretty nice bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must play in really tough games if your opponents arent autocalling the flop alot of the time. Also, getting called on the flop gives you much more information than it getting checked around does.

ryan4sc 12-08-2006 05:08 PM

If you c/r the turn I would lead out on the river. I think the button raises the river with JJ (and AA obviously), and that is about it.

DeathDonkey 12-08-2006 05:50 PM

Shawnhoo is hardly a new poster.

Shawn, I think if you check you'll miss a bet from a jack and you'll never get an ace to check it down, so I'd go ahead and bet unless you feel like you can check/fold. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB turn up a crappy ace or to have them both fold or to have them both call you and you win, its Commerce so weird things happen and you took a weird line and they have no clue what you have but it looks like you are huge so they will be scared with almost anything.

-DeathDonkey