Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: 6 team playoff

Some regular season games become more meaningful and some become less. Whether the regular season loses meaning overall is debatable. The value of the playoff games added to the end of the season will more than make up for anything that may or may not be lost during the regular season.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:17 PM

In order for my idea to work I think you'd have to have a few things:

One, you'd absolutely have to be sure to elect a good committee that is educated and unbaised. The current voters are idiots. And don't just elect them one year and then forget about it- review the group every year and make replacements as needed.

Second, I think that some guidelines may help. Maybe something that an undefeated team in any DI conferene has to be included and that a 2 loss team can not make it.

This year, I would set the field as follows:

1 OSU vs 4 Boise St
2 Mich vs 3 Flor

Or I could also see the argument for:

3 Flor vs 6 Boise St
4 Louisville vs 5 Wisconsin
First round byes: 1 OSU, 2 Mich

Obviously replace Flor at #2 if you believe they should be #2.

I do NOT think that my idea would work if every committee member just cast a ballot and then we calculated the results. Instead I think that we should have them meet and actually discuss and debate the issues as a jury would. And then come to a majority decision.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:29 PM

You think 3 Big 10 teams are going to be in a 6-team playoff? And Boise too? That's messed up.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:30 PM

btw, quick hijack just becuase I don't think this is worthy of its own thread....

Can anyone give me any info on Purdue? I'm just interested since MD is playing them. From looking over their results it seems as if any time they play a good theam this year they've lost, but I havn't actually seen them play.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 PM

A playoff almost promises that you won't get the correct champion. Look at the NFL playoffs last year, that gave us the Steelers. Any "One and Done" playoff system (which is the only kind the game of football allows for) is imperfect. It's exciting to watch, but as far as getting the correct champion, College Football currently gets is closest to right.

Or rather, would get it right if it were possible to play a larger percentage of the field in order to help the process of imperfect comparison. Since we can't increase the schedule much, we'll have to trim down the field. Let's limit D-1A to 40-50 teams, and every two years we redistribute depending on the last two years proformance. That way teams will have more common opponents with which to compare.

Cody
Old 12-05-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, quick hijack just becuase I don't think this is worthy of its own thread....

Can anyone give me any info on Purdue? I'm just interested since MD is playing them. From looking over their results it seems as if any time they play a good theam this year they've lost, but I havn't actually seen them play.

[/ QUOTE ]

They only beat Indiana 19-29, now Indiana has made huge strides this year and is only gonna get better, but they shouldn't rightly see a BCS bowl in the next 10 years. That ought to tell you about what you need.

Cody
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have no defense at all.
They gave up 653 yards against Hawaii, 505 against Indiana, 446 against Illinois, 516 against Miami of Ohio.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They have no defense at all.
They gave up 653 yards against Hawaii, 505 against Indiana, 446 against Illinois, 516 against Miami of Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Purdue has gone back to the olden days and is pass happy. Painter is a great QB, but his decision making got worse and worse over the season. Good pass defenses, such as Wisconsin and Penn State, can really shut down the Boilers. Bad pass defenses, such as Illinois and Hawai'i, cannot stop the Boilers. The run is an afterthought from the Boilers, but Sheets is quick if given space. Purdue has numerous 20 yard plus plays this season. Bryant is their best receiver, but they have a capable corps who all have lots of playing time. The Purdue o-line is great and is the most important reason for their success this year. Despite throwing the ball so often, the Boilers hardly give up any sacks. The offense will remind people of a slightly worse version of the Drew Brees attack.

Maryland is somewhere in between, but definitely not good on pass defense. I expect a shootout.

The Boilers use an undersized defense. They sacrifice physicalness for speed. Anthony Spencer is a load at defensive end and extremely underrated. IMO, he's the best playmaker on defense in the big10. Other than that, the Boilers are not very fearsome, but they have created numerous turnovers.

I took Maryland -4, expecting the line to move toward Maryland. It did at first (I middled with Purdue +6), but has snapped back toward the Boilers bigtime. It's at -2 MD the last time I checked.

Take the over and enjoy the game
Old 12-05-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second, I think that some guidelines may help. Maybe something that an undefeated team in any DI conferene has to be included and that a 2 loss team can not make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are horrible guidelines that would make teams schedule even bigger cupcakes.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:02 PM

Here is the reason we'll never have a playoff for college football.