Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Rutgers football coach Schiano turned down Thug-U

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Only thing that Schiano really wants is a stadium that seats more and another year of success he has had he will get that largely due to demand for seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stadium is only 13 years old and seats 42,000. Not sure that NJ will put up the money for a 60-70,000 seat stadium, given the program's record prior to 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was there, RU played their home games in Giants Stadium while the Stadium was being renovated. I can't see them putting in the $$$ for a new stadium already. What are they going to do...add another tier?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had talked to the recruiting coordinator there he was saying that there are plans that they can easily add a second tier. As well as put stands to surround the stadium instead of having openings. I think it is very possible for them to add the seats. It's just is there going to be demand for the seats in 5 years? That is what will hold this back.

Edit to add: When I was interested in RU it was between the months of June-October of '03. So these conversations I had were before the team had broke out in '05.

Also, to Sam, I feel that Rutgers should still play a game in Giants Stadium once a year. I'm just not sure if they'd allow it considering the did disband the Kickoff Classic a few years ago. Hell, the NJISSA(the high school association) has to fight with them just to get the state championship high school football games there.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When I had talked to the recruiting coordinator there he was saying that there are plans that they can easily add a second tier. As well as put stands to surround the stadium instead of having openings. I think it is very possible for them to add the seats. It's just is there going to be demand for the seats in 5 years? That is what will hold this back.

Edit to add: When I was interested in RU it was between the months of June-October of '03. So these conversations I had were before the team had broke out in '05.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, do you play football somewhere?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:33 AM

Yeah, I ended up taking a scholarship to a D2 college in North Carolina, schools name is Mars Hill College. I was pretty much told by every D1A to AA(except Liberty and Jacksonville University both really crappy football teams) school that I would be a special teams/practice squad player, I am to short to be a linemen at that level(6'1 275). I wanted the oppurtunity to start and did not want to risk wasting an oppurtunity to play at the college level by standing on the sidelines for a big program.

I ended up transferring back closer to home (NJ), to a school in Eastern PA, Kutztown University. I ended up taking a really [censored] hit in spring practice last semester that popped a disk out of my back and it has kept me off the field and with a medical redshirt for this past semester.

I hope to be ready to get back on the field for the spring semester, if not I definitely will be 100% for summer camp. Yeah...I have 3 years of elgibility and will be a senior in the class room fall '07. So pretty much Chris Weinke. And I play offensive guard.[/rant on personal life]
Old 12-05-2006, 02:32 AM

gl to your recovery Needle

am I at all close with the previous evaluation I gave earlier in this thread on why it's good for Schiano in New Jersey?
I'm nowhere close to New Jersey, but this was my feel from perusing lots of articles and fan forums.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:53 AM

Thank you very much, I can't wait to get back on the field.

I agree with all of your statements 100% except his security. About the recruiting though, it wasn't so much PSU that was taking the NJ kids as it was everyone EXCEPT Rutgers. USC has taken NJ's top recruit 2 of the past 3 years and will likely do so again this year. Boston College took Brian Toal the other year. There was never any incentive for NJ kids to stay in state. Sadly enough, the kids they would keep in state was kids like me, ha.

Schiano, now with the success of Leonerd, also has a new pipeline into New York. He will be attending the Govener's Bowl, which is NJ vs NY and there are supposed to be a plethora of recruits committing in that game to RU. That is a huge step. Especially, as you noted, Syracuse is down and those kids want to win and want the expoure. Having the Ny/NJ/South Florida recruits will propel this team. Pennsylvania will always be tough with the amount of schools in the state along with the big ones in Pitt and PSU.

One thing that I was scared about was that Schiano would leave for Miami due to his pipeline to South Florida. Going to Miami would mean Schiano now had South Florida in a strangle hold along with his pipeline in NJ/NY.

Lastly, you hit the TV dead on. Talking to some players coming out this December to join the teams in the spring semester said that having the ability to Rutgers almost literally week in and week out really helped them. Not to mention the Sunday Night/Thursday Night/Saturday Night games they got on ESPN this year, oh and they weren't embaressed.

Sorry, one last thing, midway through last year the state of New Jersey wanted Schiano's head. He refused to allow the midshipmen of Navy to march into their stadium in '03 because he felt "they were buying time." Schiano also felt the urge to have his team stomp the the Lousivlle logo last year on Thursday Night ESPN. Louisville answered with a monster beating of Rutgers. Also that Insight Bowl last year led the Newark Star-Ledger to report that the AD planned on firing Schiano even though he had just signed an extension. This is still a winning area, if he doesn't win, even though he has held the job for quite a few years, it is not and never will be secure. Well, maybe not never, but it will be extremely tough. That is this area.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM

Schiano wins Coach of the Year. Yes sir.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, to Sam, I feel that Rutgers should still play a game in Giants Stadium once a year. I'm just not sure if they'd allow it considering the did disband the Kickoff Classic a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming RU keeps the forward momentum, I'd agree with this. But prior to this year, they'd struggle to get 10K people in.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 PM

Can someone confirm something for me. Will the Kansas St vs Rutgers bowl game be only shown on the NFL Network? If thats the case I'll be extremely pissed. I get NFL network here at college but of course at home I don't. I'm just hoping that my friend read that wrong.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:00 AM

nfl network only
Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 AM

[censored]. Of course North Jersey has cablevision who doesn't cover that but Eastern PA has it. That is sickening that I won't be able to watch the game from in-state. This just increases my hate for Cablevision.