Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is more important?
competition / innovation 3 75.00%
equality 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Coughlin Giants: Most frustrating team to watch in sports history?

[ QUOTE ]
Most frustrating team in my 20 years rooting for NY sports has to be the Knicks teams in the 1990s. Charles Smith layups, missed fingerrolls, Reggie Miller going WWF on Charlie Ward, John Starks streakiness, continually trading for second scorers and point guards who disappoint, and just when you think it's your year, the whole team gets suspended for the last two games of a winnable series for just standing up in the middle of a fight.

And at least as a Knicks fan I had championship teams in the other 3 sports. I'm sure other cities' fans had it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my roomate countered with this.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, 2005 Chargers anyone?

We lost 4 games that we lead in the 4th quarter and most of our losses were by 4 points or less. We underperformed our pythagorean W-L by about 2 wins IIRC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the decision by management to play hard ball with Gates and suspend him for the first game of the season. The guy had the best season a TE has ever had (while making next to nothing) and they screw around instead of just paying him. Real smart.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:14 PM

I thought the Giants under Fassel were extremely frustrating to watch. You had a has been (Sehorn) still starting just on reputation alone; even though it was obvious that he was never going to be the same after he tore his knee in pre-season.

The big thing that pisses me off about this team is their in-ability to stop teams on 3rd down. They look awesome on 1st and 2nd downs and give up 15-20 yards on 3rd down every time. I mean c'mon; everyone knew Chicago was doing a draw play on 3rd and 23 with 2 mins. left in the 1st half.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 PM

Shouldn't it be a requirement that you have championship level talent to be considered the "most frustrating team to watch in sports history"?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the Colts over the last couple of years?

All the great success in the regular season and they choke in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 AM

John L. Smith era Michigan State football anyone? Always a solid start to the season with a decent win over a decent team (this year it was Pittsburgh), followed by an absolute collapse (Notre Dame 4th quarter this year), and finally a bunch of losing to teams that don't have nearly as much talent. This year they even threw in the wrinkle of accomplishing the largest comeback in NCAA history, only to get blasted by Indiana the following weak. Glad he is gone.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 AM

by far the worst i rooted for was the 2001-2003 Red Sox

2001 - contender killed by injuries
2002 - contender killed by variance (best pyth. record in baseball, missed playoffs)
2003 - contender killed by grady [censored] little

thank god for 2004
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 AM

Although it seems hard to bitch about being an Ohio State fan these days, the Buckeye teams during the John Cooper era were extremely frustrating to watch against Michigan and in bowl games.

In 1995 Tim Biakabatuka (sp?)outshined Heisman Eddie and ran wild in Michigan's upset over the Bucks.

The 1996 loss to the Wolverines was worse because in hindsight it clearly cost Ohio State the national championship. In 1995, they could have done no better than finishing second behind Nebraska's juggernaut team, although it did cost them a Rose Bowl berth.

The Mike Hargrove era was also rough, at least the Braves got one [censored] championship.

Jose Mesa.

Oh and the year 1999 (?) where the Tribe blew a 2-0 lead against Boston, giving up huge run totals in all three loses and prompting some comedian to remark, "The world's population has just gone over the 6 billion mark. And the Cleveland Indians still can't find anybody to pitch for them." Ha, ha, ha...

Also, although I'm not a Bills fan, I'm sure it would be frustrating to lose 4 consecutive Super Bowls.

I think the 2005-06 UConn basketball team should be on the list. Studs at every position. I know the tournament has a lot of variance, but they played like dogshit for much of the tournament and nearly infamously made history against Albany.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 AM

The late 90's bother me more than the SB's. 10-6 screwed out of a home playoff game, 11-5 another road wildcard game, screwed in that game...of course whenever NE goes 11-5 they get a bye...and ever since the division started to suck the Bills have sucked...horrible timing.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:49 AM

in case anyone missed it

Giants Meeting