Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Some tricky spots on all streets (stars 25/50)

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good flop to flat call on just becuase there is only one draw out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

while the board texture permits calling, the call or raise question depends in large part on hero's image and how aggro villain is being. if a hyper aggro villain perceives hero as aggro, then it's a great three-betting opportunity since it looks like a steal/re-steal. hero almost certainly has the best hand on the flop.

if villain has an underset all the money will likely go in. if villain has air, then we have a chance of inducing a bluff if we three bet since flat calling looks really suspicious and might deter villain from bluffing on later streets.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
his overcall preflop makes me think this is 333 more than JJJ, QQQ, or KKK. so call. but he's got one of those most of the time fer sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya...I always assume someone has a set when I do. That's
the secret to my success. Seriously how has no one made fun of this claim?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i'm a weak-tight nit.

do you not understand the difference between "always" assuming someone has a set when i do and assuming someone has a set when i do this time, once out of 5,000 times?
Old 12-02-2006, 08:08 PM

the fact that you checked behind the turn and the board looks dangerous makes the river an easy call.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:55 PM

click call button on river, move on if u lose stm if u win, reraise flop next time. holla
Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 PM

Results:

I called the river and he showed 33.

as raptor said... ship the money.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his overcall preflop makes me think this is 333 more than JJJ, QQQ, or KKK. so call. but he's got one of those most of the time fer sure.

also, i don't mind the turn check but i also don't mind a bet, it can go either way depending on how aggro you've been. if you've been active, then just try to get it in. i think his overcall preflop is the crucial point of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...this looks very much like 33. No way he has T9 here. Maybe he has JJ but it's more probable that he has either KJ or 33.

I thought this was a pretty easy river call...maybe even a raise. We can rule out T9, KK, and QQ.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

also, i don't mind the turn check but i also don't mind a bet, it can go either way depending on how aggro you've been. if you've been active, then just try to get it in. i think his overcall preflop is the crucial point of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...this looks very much like 33. No way he has T9 here. Maybe he has JJ but it's more probable that he has either KJ or 33.

I thought this was a pretty easy river call...maybe even a raise. We can rule out T9, KK, and QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure why you are able to rule out the turned nuts, I see this small flop checkraise from draws all the time, usually they would bet the turn bet lots of people love to slowplay.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Results:

as raptor said... ship the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

ship the money, but lose the value.. obv you stack him on the flop
Old 12-04-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya...I always assume someone has a set when I do. That's
the secret to my success. Seriously how has no one made fun of this claim?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i'm a weak-tight nit.

do you not understand the difference between "always" assuming someone has a set when i do and assuming someone has a set when i do this time, once out of 5,000 times?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Results:

[/ QUOTE ]

owned
Old 12-05-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

while the board texture permits calling, the call or raise question depends in large part on hero's image and how aggro villain is being. if a hyper aggro villain perceives hero as aggro, then it's a great three-betting opportunity since it looks like a steal/re-steal. hero almost certainly has the best hand on the flop.

if villain has an underset all the money will likely go in. if villain has air, then we have a chance of inducing a bluff if we three bet since flat calling looks really suspicious and might deter villain from bluffing on later streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best response in the thread, I think. It's a huge mistake to miss stacking 333 or air on the flop if your image and the villain's nature will allow it. Even if he has 9-10 he's the one making the mistake if it all gets in.

As played, you allow him to get away from bottom set (rarely, but potentially), get away cheap with all inferior hands that value bet the river, and stack you on the river when he turns the straight and checks it with plans to shove the river knowing that you will often look him up.

Thanks for the post, Peter. I think I would often play the hand the way you did, and now that I look at it I really think it's a big mistake to not 3-bet the flop.

Irieguy