Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Fired for the first time and dealing with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Standard operating procedure the second time you fukup,- make up a lie about having major car trouble and/or projectile vommiting/diahrea and you are going to the ER.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once given a written warning that if I was over 3 minutes late (starting time: 6:30am) I'd be terminated.

Next time I woke up late, I called in sick and took the day off.

I've never been fired.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for getting fired was for being excessively late twice in a short period of time. The first time I forgot that I had set my alarm...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know that this incident shows a complete lack of responsibility, and that is why it bothers me so much. Overall this situation is out of character.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm having trouble reconciling these two statements. I haven't been late for work twice in the last 10+ years.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:54 PM

So putting the job on the resume might still be a good idea?

I don't really feel like lying to a potential employer, as if it is found out later could be a sticky situation.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So putting the job on the resume might still be a good idea?

I don't really feel like lying to a potential employer, as if it is found out later could get me automatically terminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Seriously, list the job. It is better to not get a job because you told the truth on your resume than to get a job and then get terminated for lying on your resume after you have invested time and efforting into the job. This is even more important because you know that they are going to do extensive background research on you for jobs in your field.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 PM

Whups, I misread your post.

I thought you were FRIED for the first time.
Actually, that might be my advice.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Standard operating procedure the second time you fukup,- make up a lie about having major car trouble and/or projectile vommiting/diahrea and you are going to the ER.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would work great, if I had not already been fired. haha.

Yes, I know that this incident shows a complete lack of responsibility, and that is why it bothers me so much. Overall this situation is out of character. My main concern is about how much this could screw me in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sweat it. Put the job on your resume. If a potential employer asks why you left, tell them that you were laid off due to company cutbacks. For the most part past employers are not allowed to tell potential employers anything about your work experience. They can confirm that you worked there from this date to that date, what type of work you were doing, and that's it. They are leaving themselves open to a lawsuit if they say anything about your performance. At least that's the way it is here in Illinois.

In the future though you really do need to get your ass to work on time, that's what grown ups do.

Also, make up a list of excuses in advance so you will be prepared. Never ever tell your boss you overslept. Car trouble, broken toe, cat bleeding from it's ass, all work quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This disgusts me.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:20 PM

This is why you use a delayed e-mail sent at an early morning time to call out of work when you know are you going to get irreparably blasted the night before.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Getting prevented from working for the Feds sounds like a blessing in disguise, actually.

But, you are over sweating this. I assume you are thinging FBI or DEA or DOJ or something. They want brains first (brains in a beauracracy, how can that be...), and then they worry about whether or not you are a security risk. I.e., they worry about things that can compromise your integrity as an officer of the US. Do you do drugs, do you gamble, have you done things that make you dishonest, do you have aspects of your life that would make you susceptible to blackmail...

My advice is just show them you have the capabilities they are looking for, and then, when and if they want to hire you, tell them the truth. I mean, do you think you'll be the only person in those branches whose screwed up in the past? Trust me, there are people with a lot worse in there than getting fired from a crummy insurance gig.

Come to think about it, I would be more worried about poker than this...if you play cards that is, just assuming you do.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting prevented from working for the Feds sounds like a blessing in disguise, actually.

But, you are over sweating this. I assume you are thinging FBI or DEA or DOJ or something. They want brains first (brains in a beauracracy, how can that be...), and then they worry about whether or not you are a security risk. I.e., they worry about things that can compromise your integrity as an officer of the US. Do you do drugs, do you gamble, have you done things that make you dishonest, do you have aspects of your life that would make you susceptible to blackmail...

My advice is just show them you have the capabilities they are looking for, and then, when and if they want to hire you, tell them the truth. I mean, do you think you'll be the only person in those branches whose screwed up in the past? Trust me, there are people with a lot worse in there than getting fired from a crummy insurance gig.

Come to think about it, I would be more worried about poker than this...if you play cards that is, just assuming you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I did my internship I absolutely loved it, and decided that is what I wanted to do. Good to see that I might be sweating the whole thing too much.

I never really would have thought of poker being detrimental to getting a position.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone, imo, go out an get any job asap, you only worked there for 6mos? Just fudge your resume, adding 3 months to the last job you worked and 2 or 3 months to the next job to fill in that gap. doubtful most places remember how long you work there etc, down to the day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terrible advice.

1) He's a grad student, job is outside his field, just don't list it on your resume at all.
2) Most places that aren't complete mom & pop operations will have HR/Tax records showing the dates you worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't plan on listing it on my resume, but it is definitely something that I will have to face and deal with in the future. The career goal is to get into federal law enforcement. I've already done my undergrad internship once with a federal agency and the background check was very extensive, roughly 35-40 pages. I had to list references for every place I have ever lived, worked, went to school, etc... Every reference was checked and interviewed by them, and I was just an intern.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's unlikely that this will be a big deal for you. A guy who showed up late to work is not what federal agencies are looking to screen out in these background checks.